• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Three at least of the nine have been prayed for by other Christians, unknown to us.

We've seen changes in the people we've prayed for that cannot be explained away as coincidences, and we praise God for that. Two of them now attend church regularly; their children now attend Sunday School, and one has joined our Bible study group. Three at least of the nine have been prayed for by other Christians, unknown to us. That gives us encouragement too, and we persevere with those that so far we have seen little change in. (Three Times Three Equals Twelve by Brian Mills, pages 28-29)

In the above passage, what on earth is unknown to us?
    I need native speakers' help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Three at least of the nine have been prayed for by other Christians, unknown to u

The other Christians who have been praying for those three people are "unknown to us" - the people in the group containing the speaker do not know who they are; they only know they exist and that they have been praying for three people.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Three at least of the nine have been prayed for by other Christians, unknown to u

However, I can understand Sitifan's confusion as it makes little factual sense, and seems more an attempt to suggest some sort of blind trial of the efficacy of prayer. If he knows this, how come it is unknown to him?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

From what I recall from what I was told by a Christian friend of mine, there are global groups which put out the names of people they believe are in need of prayer. It's possible that the speaker knows that some of those groups have been praying for those three people, even though the members of the groups are not known personally to the speaker or his/her audience.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I would presume that since the three are now attending church regularly, the three have mentioned that other Christians had prayed for them as well at some point during conversations.

Hence the 'at least' - they know for sure these three were prayed for by other Christians (although they don't know who the other Christians praying for them were), because these three have confirmed such during discussions. They just can't confirm whether the remaining six are receiving other prayer efforts, because none of those six have yet to attend services or open themselves up to discussion.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Woooo, I am feeling like FE Smith's thick judge who was:

None the wiser, perhaps, my lord, but certainly better informed.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Woooo, I am feeling like FE Smith's thick judge who was: None the wiser, perhaps, my lord, but certainly better informed.
    What does thick judge mean?
    I need native speakers' help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by sitifan View Post
    What does thick judge mean?
    Thick is somewhat rude BrE slang for "dull-witted". I don't know whether this is right, but I've always imagined it's short for "thick-skulled"; the person's skull is too thick to allow much information to penetrate.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I'm sure you know what a judge is. "Thick" is another way of saying "stupid" in BrE.