[Grammar] Get it done => Do it yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamcake

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Greeting folks!

I have a very interesting question. In the books you have already know that Have something done and Get something done are interchangeable in most cases. However, I watched a movie where a mafia boss has troubles that need to be carried out; he tells one of his subordinate: "Get it done!"

I refuse myself to believe that the boss wants his minion to even ask someone to do "the business" other than the minion himself. It is no longer the "causative form" but actually the "imperative mood" to my best knowledge, and it should be fully understood as: (You) get it done (by you or by any mean necessary).

Another case is, Jane asks John: "Have you fixed my laptop?", John replies: "I got it done." Obviously, nobody did it but John.

So, am I right that Get something done has another slightly different interpretation in which the speaker (or the person under the effect of imperative mood) carries out the job himself?

Thank you all and wish you a good day!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the context you provided "Get it done" does indeed mean that the mafia boss is telling the minion to make sure it's done; whether that's by the minion or by someone else is irrelevant.

In the second context, John's "I got it done" could mean "I successfully did it myself" or "I got someone else to do it". All we know is that the laptop has been fixed.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You understand correctly. Congratulations!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
GoesStation, do you agree with the OP's statement, "Obviously, nobody did it but John"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Another case is, Jane asks John: "Have you fixed my laptop?", John replies: "I got it done." Obviously, nobody did it but John.

GoesStation, do you agree with the OP's statement, "Obviously, nobody did it but John"?

No. After reading more closely, I don't agree. Without more context I'd be more likely to understand it as "I had someone do it for me."

Creamcake

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thanks you, guys for your explanations. I am happy that my question has been solved.

And yes, as GoesStation has mentioned, in the Jane and John example, I did not give the detailed information. My idea was that John is able to handle computer, or that he is Jane's brother (or boyfriend); that is, to make it relevant to what/why I wanna ask you guys at the very beginning.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.