Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I'm reading The Muse by Jessie Burton. The background is London in 1967 and the protagonist is a girl from the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. She works in London as a typist. Her employer asks her if she speaks French and their conversation goes:

‘You speak French?’
‘No.’
To have and to be confuse me greatly. I thought people spoke French in Trinidad?’
I hesitated. ‘Only a few of our forebears were indoors, speaking with the French,’ I said.

I'm confused about the grammar of "to have and to be confuse" here. Does it simply mean that she's confused? If so, why would she speak in this way? Is it a way to stress your feelings?

I'm even more confused about what "indoors" means here. All the dictionaries I looked up say that indoor or indoors means inside a building, but this definition just doesn't fit this context. What does "indoors" mean? Can anybody give me some clues?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Anglophones learning French often find the verbs avoir and être, "to have" and "to be", confusing.

The speaker's ancestors were slaves, most of whom worked outside in the fields. Only the small minority who worked as domestic servants indoors learned French.

Status
Not open for further replies.