phonetic symbols

hello! may I know what is phonetic symbols? i've seen these in the dictionary and my problem in English is my pronounciation please tell me how i can improve it.

Thank you in an advance.

1. sheena55ro

Re: phonetic symbols

Quote Originally Posted by isko_sbma
    hello! may I know what is phonetic symbols? i've seen these in the dictionary and my problem in English is my pronounciation please tell me how i can improve it.
    Thank you in an advance.

As you probably know, phonetic symbols are a great help when it comes to learning to pronounce English words correctly. Any time you open a dictionary, you can find the correct pronunciation of words you don't know by looking at the phonetic pronunciation that follows the word. Unfortunately, learning the phonetic alphabet is not always the easiest thing to do.
    In English, as you certainly know, many words can have the same pronunciation but be written differently with different meanings. For example "to, two, and too" which all have the phonetic transcription /tu/. Sometimes, words can be written similarly but have different pronunciations as in the "ough" combinations thought, though, bough, and through. Another factor in pronunciation is the how the word is stressed. Understanding the phonetic alphabet can greatly simplify the learning process, especially for students who do not have the opportunity to work with a teacher.

You can search google for more details

I have some questions : How many dialects are spoken in Japan? Where is "tagalog" spoken? Is it spoken also in Tokio?
    I hope you don`t mind.
    Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Here's a list of the basic symbols used in English: https://www.usingenglish.com/handout...mic-script.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by sheena55ro
    Where is "tagalog" spoken?
    It's spoken in the Philippines, not in Japan.

3. sheena55ro

I have read in isko`s profile that he/she is a Japanese and her/his first language is "tagalog" .
    Thank you very much for your explanation, rewboss.

Hi Sheena.

You are correct. According to isko_sbma's profile, s/he lists her country as Japan, yes, but that doesn't mean s/he is Japanese or that Tagalog is spoken by Japanese nationals. We should add a "location field" to the public profile data.

In my public profile, Canada is listed as my country, but I'm not there, actually. I live and work in China.

5. sheena55ro

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Hi Sheena.
    You are correct. According to isko_sbma's profile, s/he lists her country as Japan, yes, but that doesn't mean s/he is Japanese or that Tagalog is spoken by Japanese nationals. We should add a "location field" to the public profile data.
    In my public profile, Canada is listed as my country, but I'm not there, actually. I live and work in China.
    Well, yes, you are right and I presumed that there might be something wrong but I was not sure, that`s why I`ve asked that question about "tagalog". Thank you very much for your clarification.

By the way, is "clarification" correctly used in my sentence?
    Thank you

6. sheena55ro

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Hi Sheena.
    Well, yes, you are right and I presumed that there might be something wrong but I was not sure, that`s why I asked that question about "tagalog". Thank you very much for your clarification.
    By the way, is "clarification" correctly used in my sentence?
    Thank you

In my books, all questions are good questions. Especially when they lead to discussion.

'clarification' is used correctly; however, you may want to try something like,
    Thank you for clarifying that.