• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Shall we start?/Shall we get started?/Let's get started, shall we?

I do online teaching to adults and I need some good phrases to make sure that the student is ready to start the lesson. So I write to them to the chat before we actually start the lesson: Hello, (name), shall we start?/shall we get started?/Let's get started, shall we?

I don't want to use dated expressions. I have read that 'shall' is more common in British English than in American English and it's getting out of use in both. Can you suggest some other, better, more natural ways of wording my introductory phrases?
    If I were a native speaker of English, I would never shut up. :-)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Shall we start?/Shall we get started?/Let's get started, shall we?

Shall we get started?

Let's get started.

Are you ready?

A: Did you bring your notebook?
    B: Yes.
    A: Okay, let's get started.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Shall we start?/Shall we get started?/Let's get started, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by englishhobby View Post
    I do online teaching to adults and I need some good phrases to make sure that the student is ready to start the lesson. So I write to them to the chat before we actually start the lesson: Hello, (name), shall we start?/shall we get started?/Let's get started, shall we?

I don't want to use dated expressions. I have read that 'shall' is more common in British English than in American English and it's getting out of use in both. Can you suggest some other, better, more natural ways of wording my introductory phrases?
    I wouldn't consider these dated, even in AmE, just a bit formal. However, I don't personally consider the formality misplaced in an educational setting. This is probably one of the few instances you'll hear 'shall' in AmE.

I typically start off my classes with "Alright, let's get started." or "Okay, let's begin." If I've given them some time to work on a task in class, and I think it's time to move on, I'll say something like "Okay/Alright, is everybody ready/finished? Let's move on/continue/check our answers."

Note that I teach in a physical classroom, where students arrive at varying times, so I tend to greet students individually as they walk in, and therefore don't start the actual lesson with any kind of greeting or salutation.

However, I've heard teachers start their classes with some variation of "Good morning, everyone/How is everyone today? Are you ready to begin?"
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!