• Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

• Post Thanks / Like

The three-course meal

I am trying to describe the Nobel Banquet which I watched on TV, and I am struggling with the sentence in which I am trying to say that portions were small and you could not be full after you had eaten them. But I am wondering if the word "full" is correct used. Would you please take a look at my sentences and correct my mistakes?

The three-course meal was read in French, and it was then translated in Swedish for the viewers who were not familiar with French terms. Judging by the size of portions you could not be full, even if you took all three of them, but probably that was not the meaning with it. Food was a prop to help the guests survive a few hours of this social occasion without feeling embarrassed and awkward.
    Last edited by Bassim; 04-Jul-2016 at 00:15.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: The three-course meal

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    The MENU was read in French, and it was then translated INTO Swedish for the viewers who were not familiar with French terms. Judging by the size of THE portions you WOULD not be full, even if you ATE ALL OF IT, but probably that was not the POINT OF it. Food was a prop to help the guests survive a few hours of this social occasion without feeling embarrassed and awkward.
    Eh?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    I am trying to describe the Nobel Banquet which I watched on TV, and I am struggling with the sentence in which I am trying to say that portions were small and you could not be full after you had eaten them. But I am wondering if the word "full" is correct used. Would you please take a look at my sentences and correct my mistakes?

The three-course meal was read in French, and it was then translated in Swedish for the viewers who were not familiar with French terms. Judging by the size of portions you could not be full, even if you took all three of them, but probably that was not the meaning with it. Food was a prop to help the guests survive a few hours of this social occasion without feeling embarrassed and awkward.
    - not a teacher -

The three-course meal was read in French, and it was then translated into Swedish for the viewers who were not familiar with French terms. Judging by the size of the portions, you could would not be full, even if you ate all three of them. However, but probably that probably was not the meaning with it their intention. Food was served a prop to help the guests survive a few hours of this social occasion without feeling embarrassed and awkward.
    Last edited by boehm; 04-Jul-2016 at 03:12.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

You don't read a meal. You read a menu.