Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am trying to describe the Nobel Banquet which I watched on TV, and I am struggling with the sentence in which I am trying to say that portions were small and you could not be full after you had eaten them. But I am wondering if the word "full" is correct used. Would you please take a look at my sentences and correct my mistakes?

The three-course meal was read in French, and it was then translated in Swedish for the viewers who were not familiar with French terms. Judging by the size of portions you could not be full, even if you took all three of them, but probably that was not the meaning with it. Food was a prop to help the guests survive a few hours of this social occasion without feeling embarrassed and awkward.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The MENU was read in French, and it was then translated INTO Swedish for the viewers who were not familiar with French terms. Judging by the size of THE portions you WOULD not be full, even if you ATE ALL OF IT, but probably that was not the POINT OF it. Food was a prop to help the guests survive a few hours of this social occasion without feeling embarrassed and awkward.

Eh?

boehm

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am trying to describe the Nobel Banquet which I watched on TV, and I am struggling with the sentence in which I am trying to say that portions were small and you could not be full after you had eaten them. But I am wondering if the word "full" is correct used. Would you please take a look at my sentences and correct my mistakes?

The three-course meal was read in French, and it was then translated in Swedish for the viewers who were not familiar with French terms. Judging by the size of portions you could not be full, even if you took all three of them, but probably that was not the meaning with it. Food was a prop to help the guests survive a few hours of this social occasion without feeling embarrassed and awkward.

- not a teacher -

The three-course meal was read in French, and it was then translated into Swedish for the viewers who were not familiar with French terms. Judging by the size of the portions, you [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] would not be full, even if you ate all three of them. However, [STRIKE]but probably[/STRIKE] that probably was not [STRIKE]the meaning with it[/STRIKE] their intention. Food was served [STRIKE]a prop[/STRIKE] to help the guests survive a few hours of this social occasion without feeling embarrassed and awkward.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You don't read a meal. You read a menu.