Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 2,842
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Curved road.

    There is a curved road and we are standing there and we want to tell someone over the phone that we are there so what we can say "I am standing at the curve?" What do we say to a "curve" or "curved road?" I know about "detour" that is a circle or a long cut but I am asking about "curve."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 2,593
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Curved road.

    We are at the bend of the road.
    I am not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 2,842
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Curved road.

    Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
    We are at the bend of the road.
    Is it correct to say "you are at the bend of the road. Drive along the bend of the road and then go straight on that road (while giving directions over the phone)?"

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 34,325
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Curved road.

    If there aren't any turnings off the road, you don't need to tell someone to follow the bend/curve of the road. They will just do that automatically. If the location of the bend/curve is important, you could mention it.

    Stay on the road you're on and, just after the sharp left-hand bend, you'll see a turning on the right. Take that turn and my house is 100 yards down on the left.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 1,984
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Curved road.

    not a teacher

    The form "bend in the road" is also natural and very common.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 2,842
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Curved road.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If there aren't any turnings off the road, you don't need to tell someone to follow the bend/curve of the road. They will just do that automatically. If the location of the bend/curve is important, you could mention it.

    Stay on the road you're on and, just after the sharp left-hand bend, you'll see a turning on the right. Take that turn and my house is 100 yards down on the left.
    Is it also correct to say "Stay on the road you're on and, just after the sharp left-hand bend, you'll see a bend on the right. Take that turn and my house is 100 yards down on the left?" Bend means curve, they are interchangable, right?

  2. Piscean's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 6,569
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Curved road.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    Is it also correct to say "Stay on the road you're on and, just after the sharp left-hand bend, you'll see a bend on the right. Take that turn and my house is 100 yards down on the left?"
    That is confusing. A bend is not a turn.

  3. Boris Tatarenko's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: May 2013
    • Posts: 1,093
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Curved road.

    I'm sorry for off topic but I do really think that such things in English are the most difficult. How is it possible to describe something like this in English in an adequate way? When somebody tries to explain to me where he's in my mother tongue I feel so confused.
    Please, correct all my mistakes. I should know English perfectly and if you show me my mistakes I will achieve my dream a little bit faster. A lot of thanks.

    Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

  4. Piscean's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 6,569
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Curved road.

    It is not really confusing. ems showed how we commonly use the words in post 4. If there is a bend in the road, the road is no longer straight. A turning is completely different. At a turning, we move from one road to another,

    Think of a bend in a straight road (l) as a ( or, if it's a very sharp bend, as an L. Think of a turning as a T or a Ͱ.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 2,842
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Curved road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    It is not really confusing. ems showed how we commonly use the words in post 4. If there is a bend in the road, the road is no longer straight. A turning is completely different. At a turning, we move from one road to another,

    Think of a bend in a straight road (l) as a ( or, if it's a very sharp bend, as an L. Think of a turning as a T or a Ͱ.
    Could you please attach the pictures of bend and turn? I am still confused

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. This road leads to the main road
    By Naeem Afzal in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Aug-2014, 09:09
  2. [Vocabulary] a winding road and a twisting road
    By 4ania4 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Jan-2011, 11:00
  3. involved in a road accident / road accidents
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-May-2010, 07:02
  4. road etc.
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2007, 17:12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •