Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
If some day you see me knelt down, it will be for raising up someone who fell down.

Could you please check my sentence?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If some day you see me kneel down, that will be for raising up someone who has fallen down.

Volcano1985

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
If some day you see me kneel down, that will be for raising up someone who has fallen down.

Why did you use "that"? Can I say ..... someone fallen down without relative pronoun?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"raising up" is unnatural there. MatthewWai's use of "that" is incorrect.

If, one day, you see me kneeling down, it will be because I am helping up someone who has fallen down.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I wouldn't use 'down' twice. "... someone who fell; someone who has fallen" is sufficient.
If you're trying for some sort of parallelism, it doesn't work for me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I see your point. To avoid that repetition, I would leave "who has fallen down" but I would start with "If, one day, you see me on my knees". For me, only "fall down" properly reflects the accidental nature. "Fallen" makes me think of "fallen women"!

Volcano1985

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"raising up" is unnatural there. MatthewWai's use of "that" is incorrect.

If, one day, you see me kneeling down, it will be because I am helping up someone who has fallen down.

Hi

It is a quote, I think "because" wouldn't go well with it.

Volcano1985

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Getting different opinions is not a sin!

The problem is that we usuallly spend our precious time to come up with a proper answer. If you post the same question on another forum, it means that we're trying to help you in vain because you have already received feedback from native speakers. Moreover, many users of this forum are also members of other forums. You cannot imagine how mad they become when they bumb into the same question twice a day from one person. :-D (I'm not an exception. I don't like it)

I see your point, though.

Volcano1985

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The problem is that we usuallly spend our precious time to come up with a proper answer. If you post the same question on another forum, it means that we're trying to help you in vain because you have already received feedback from native speakers. Moreover, many users of this forum are also members of other forums. You cannot imagine how mad they become when they bumb into the same question twice a day from one person. :-D (I'm not an exception:lol:)
I see your point, though.

If this is a forum rule, I will delete the thread. What have you two done about the thread and then talking about precious time/wasting time?

Volcano1985

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Nobody said it was. However, if you let us know you are doing this, then we can avoid wasted effort.

Sorry, I don't understand. If you don't want to answer, you don't, nobody force you! All the forums don't have the same members. So I think I can ask the same question in different forums. If you have such a narrow view, I respect..

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We ask this of all members once we discover they are asking duplicate questions on other threads.

Back to your question, you didn't say it was some kind of well-known quotation, so I simply tried to improve the sentence. If, in the original language, there is mention of the word "because", you could try:

If, one day, you see me on my knees, it will be to help up someone who has fallen down.

Volcano1985

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
How can I delete the thread? I have known this forum for 10 years and haven't seen such a "narrow mentality" till now. I regret to have opened this thread.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm very surprised that in ten years on the forum, you have never noticed that we frequently spot identical questions on other forums and ask the OP to make it clear that the same question is being asked elsewhere. We're not treating this thread any differently from any of those others.

If you have no more interest in this thread, despite our efforts, I will close it for you. I won't delete it because there is some useful information in it which might benefit other learners.

Volcano1985

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I'm very surprised that in ten years on the forum, you have never noticed that we frequently spot identical questions on other forums and ask the OP to make it clear that the same question is being asked elsewhere. We're not treating this thread any differently from any of those others.

If you have no more interest in this thread, despite our efforts, I will close it for you. I won't delete it because there is some useful information in it which might benefit other learners.

Is your moderating firstly closing the thread then editing your reply? Yes I haven't seen this "narrow mentality" here and anywhere else. Otherwise, does "wasting time" mean that you have members like piscean and boris taterenko who waste time for searching the same thread all over the internet?

Volcano1985

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I don't see how it's a sign of narrow mentality that you let us know if you have a thread going elsewhere. Apart from sparing us wasted time giving an answer that has already been given elsewhere, it is interesting for those of us who respond to see what others have said. Similar requests to mine have been made several times on at least two other forums.

I don't search all over the internet. Like many other members of this forum, including two mods (and you), I am a member of several other forums. I do find it frustrating when, having spent time and thought responding to a question on one of my forums, I go to another forum and see that the question has already been satisfactorily answered.

Look, as I have said before, getting different opinions from the other people is useful to me. Not everybody is the member of all the forum. How come you find it frustrating when see the thread somewhere else? Do I always have to post here? I can't accept this, this is "narrow mentality" to me. As said, you don't have to answer, no force! leave or ignore my posts, that easy.

Volcano1985

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Broad-minded days ;)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Could we cool things down a bit? Many people who answer here post on other forums, so seeing things posted elsewhere simultaneously is a drag. There's nothing wrong with getting different opinions, but staggering them would help. A bit of give and take might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.