Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
I'm originally from Bulgaria but moved to the US with my husband recently. I read and write English fairly well but have trouble with speaking fluently. My accent is not very easy to understand for US people.

This has ruined my chances of getting through job interviews so far. (field - Accounting).

Any suggestions I can overcome this?

Thanks,
Asie

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm originally from Bulgaria but recently moved to the US with my husband​. [STRIKE]recently.[/STRIKE] I read and write English fairly well but have trouble with speaking fluently. My accent is not very easy to understand for [STRIKE]US[/STRIKE] American people.

This has ruined my chances of getting through job interviews so far (field - accounting).

Do you have any suggestions for how I can overcome this?

Thanks,
Asie

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Your written English is certainly pretty competent. Is your husband American? Do you speak English at home all the time? Do you have regular, lasting contact with native speakers? Do you listen to the radio and watch TV/films in English? Do you know what specific problems you have with your accent/pronunciation? Can you ask a native English speaker friend to explain what it is that they find difficult to understand when you speak.

You can upload short sound clips here (via sites like Vocaroo) for us to listen to, if you would like to. It's best not to dictate something from a book or a newspaper, just talk naturally as if you were talking to a friend. That will give us an idea of your unrehearsed speech.

deryaa6161

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
England
I recommend you that you can watch movies. :up:

kamraj

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
For Speaking, the practice implies interaction. However, in unavoidable circumstances, practice can be conducted in isolation also. Listening to the authentic utterances of native speakers is helpful. The acquaintance with the language should be total. For the practice of good accent also, Listening Skills are needed. Practicing Stress, with the help of a good Pronouncing Dictionary is suggested.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For speaking, the practice implies interaction. However, in unavoidable circumstances, practice can be conducted in isolation also. Listening to the authentic utterances of native speakers is helpful. The acquaintance with the language should be total. For the practice of good accent also, listening skills are needed. Practicing stress, with the help of a good pronouncing dictionary is suggested.

Note my corrections above. In complete words, only proper nouns and the first letters of sentences are capitalized.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I too would recommend uploading a file so we can get an idea of your pronunciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.