Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
hello,

i had to write a motivation letter for my university aplication. i was hoping if someone could check the english grammer.

so here it is:
Dear Sir/Madam,
After years of doubt I am glad to say that I have finally found a study program that fits me. My name is Okke I am a nineteen-year-old and I live in the Netherlands in a small town named Sleeuwijk. For the last four years I have been searching for a study program that fits my interest. It started with me making the wrong choice after I finished the havo. I decided to start the HBO track applied biology. After a few weeks I realised that the HBO way of teaching was not for me. So I went back to my old high school and finished VWO. Because I was still unsure what I wanted to study I decided to take a gap year. However I always knew that if I could I would try to get in to medical school so I took a course in physics and successfully finished it. After passing the first parts of the selection for medical school, I did not get selected. So I had to rush to find a back-up study. Then I remembered that last year I went to the bachelor open day at Tilburg University where I visited global management of social issues.
After visiting many other study programs that did not really hit the mark for me, global management of social issues did pique my interest. The fact that it is a very broad field really appeals to me because I was interested in law, sociology and psychology but, to study just one of those fields would feel like was giving up on the others. The main reason this course speaks to me is the international point of view. Going abroad for an internship or minor is something I specifically look for in a course.
Not only do I like the subject matter in the study program, I really like the fact that there is room for a discussion. Taking part in a discussion about a ‘wicked problem’ is what I look forward to most. All of these problems do not have a simple or one-sided solution. Therefore, there will always be people with conflicting interest and that generates the discussion that I love.
So I finally realised why I could not find a fitting study for me. I have a broad interest I do not want to study law or psychology; I want to do it all. There is only one study course left that offers all those different fields: global management of social issues.
Thank you for considering my application.
Yours faithfully,
Okke

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
hello,

[STRIKE]i had[/STRIKE] I have to write a motivation letter for my university application. I was hoping if someone could check the English [STRIKE]grammer[/STRIKE] grammar.

so here it is:

Dear Sir/Madam,

After years of doubt(indecision), I am glad to say that I have finally found a study program that fits(suits) me. My name is Okke. I am [STRIKE]a [/STRIKE]nineteen-year-old and I live in the Netherlands, in a small town named Sleeuwijk. For the last four years I have been searching for a study program that fits my interests. It started with me making the wrong choice after I finished the havo(?). I decided to start the HBO track (?) applied biology. After a few weeks I realised that the HBO way of teaching was not for me. So I went back to my old high school and finished VWO(?). Because I was still unsure what I wanted to study, I decided to take a gap year. However, I always knew that if I could, I would try to get into medical school, so I took a course in physics and successfully finished it. After passing the first parts of the selection for medical school, I did not get selected. So I had to rush to find a back-up study. Then I remembered that last year I went to the bachelors' open day at Tilburg University where I visited global management of social issues(?).

After visiting many other study programs that did not really hit the mark for me, global management of social issues did pique my interest. The fact that it is a very broad field really appeals to me because I was interested in law, sociology and psychology but, to study just one of those fields would [STRIKE]feel[/STRIKE] be like was giving up on the others. The main reason this course [STRIKE]speaks[/STRIKE] appeals to me is the international[STRIKE] point of view[/STRIKE] exposure. Going abroad for an internship or minor is something I specifically look for in a course.

Not only do I like the subject matter in the study program, I really like the fact that there is room for [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] discussion. Taking part in a discussion about a ‘wicked problem’ is what I look forward to most. All of these problems do not have a simple or one-sided solution. Therefore, there will always be people with conflicting interests and that generate[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] the discussion, that I love.
So I finally realised why I could not find a [STRIKE]fitting study for me[/STRIKE] suitable course for myself. I have [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] broad interests I do not want to study law or psychology; I want to do it all. [STRIKE]There[/STRIKE] This is only one [STRIKE]study[/STRIKE] course of study left that [STRIKE]offers[/STRIKE] encompasses [STRIKE]all those[/STRIKE] many different fields: global management of social issues.

Thank you for considering my application.

Yours faithfully,
Okke

Space out your letter to make it more presentable and easier to read.
Are you sure the person who reads your letter knows all the abbreviations you have used?
You would have your resume to go with your motivation letter, so you do not have to introduce yourself again in your letter.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Be sure to capitalize every word that starts a sentence. And capitalize the word "English".

Status
Not open for further replies.