Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Japan
Proxemics
I want to talk about respect. In the text write about two students that don't know where to sit. They started to explain that if they will sit on the front they will show to the teacher their respects.
I asked my friends from Japan and friends from Russia about respect teachers. Many Japanese students said that they use Keigo when they are talking with teacher. But my boyfriend said that he is not used to talk with man teacher by using keigo. He said it's because they are friends. A lot of Japanese teachers are trying to be friendly with students. Because of the culture students use keigo. My Russian friends don't use respect form to teacher when they ask questions. English-speaking people don't have respect form in their own language. They used to talk with teacher without respect form. When I asked Japanese students why they are using keigo to teachers. Most of the students use keigo because they fear teacher. When I ask how they show their respect to the teacher. All students think in the same way. I their opinion student has to be on time to class, don't talk while teacher is talking, to raise hand before talking.
I think Japanese people used to think that they have to respect for people. That's why they have Keigo form in language. Americans are very open people, also they don't have respect form. Americans students show their respect for the teacher in different ways. Russian has respect form too, when student doesn't use respect form, teacher will become angry. Russian students have to use respect form for teachers even if a teacher is your friend. My japanese friend some times don't use respect form for some teachers. She explains it that they are friends.
I asked people do they use respect form for teacher. How do they show their respect to teacher. Why do they use respect form. I think my questions are completely can help me to make a conclusion. Also I research on Internet why do we should respect our teachers. I found interesting page. There are 11 reasons why we should respect out teacher. But I wrote only three from this page.
1. They respect you.
“Treat others how you want to be treated," if you think your teacher is being rude maybe look at how you are treating him or her.
2. They are there to help you learn.
We would not make it very far without an education, and they are the people who provide us with one.
3. They care about you.
They want the best for you, and if something is going wrong they want to help you.”
I think that we don't have use respect form with teacher. You can show your respect in deferent ways I think. Teacher will be happier when you did your homework well. Japanese students don't have to use keigo, but they do. I think it's because they really respect their teacher. Russian students have the fear of the teacher, that's why they use respect form to the teacher. American students don't have respect form in their language, I think it makes their lives more simpler. They don't have to care about how to show respect to the teacher.
I think a culture has a big influence on our education. Russian is taught from childhood that you have to use respect form when you talk with people who are older. It doesn't make any scene if you're not respecting the person. In my opinion if you use respect form it doesn't show your respect. If your teacher is your friend and you don't use keigo, does it mean that you're not respecting your teacher? After answer this question you will understand what I meant.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

When are you going to submit your essay to your teacher/tutor?

Status
Not open for further replies.