[Vocabulary] How can I improve my vocabulary skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deryaa6161

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
England
I have been studying English off and on 18 months. However, I am not good at speaking. When I try to speak, I know the word but I cannot remember the word what I want to say? Does anyone have an advice for me? Thanks :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can only encourage you to keep working on it. Everyone who's learning a foreign language experiences that problem; it's much easier to recognize a word than it is to retrieve it from memory.

J

J&K Tutoring

Two things to remember:
1. Don't worry about remembering the single, exactly perfect word for every situation. English has many, many (too many!) words- use the words you know to say what you mean, even if you have to go a 'long way around' to get there.

2. Don't forget that, even in your native language, your listener may not always understand your meaning the first time! Don't be discouraged if someone asks you to repeat what you said.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If that happens, try to explain what you mean and the listener may well supply the word you're looking for. Say you can't remember the word and try to explain it and they'll be ready to help. We all forget words.

Status
Not open for further replies.