Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The second would be correct if it ended with a period and didn't have a space before the comma.

Ask Which expression is natural?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or:
... I'm worried about getting ripped off.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Ripped off" means being swindled or over-charged in AusE. It doesn't mean pick-pocketed or robbed. You can't be ripped off just by sight-seeing.
Is this different elsewhere?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Ripped off" means being swindled or over-charged in AusE. It doesn't mean pick-pocketed or robbed. You can't be ripped off just by sight-seeing.
Is this different elsewhere?

The first time I heard the term ripoff, it meant having money stolen by intimidation. Since then, it evolved in AmE to mean any kind of theft, real or metaphorical. For example, That show was a real ripoff. It wasn't worth half what they charged for it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
But that's the point I was making. You felt ripped off by being over-charged.

Let's say you're walking down the street and someone mugs you and steals your wallet. That is not called being "ripped off" in Australia. I was asking if it was anywhere else, since I interpreted that to be the OP's meaning which, as yet, we don't know.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's say you're walking down the street and someone mugs you and steals your wallet. That is not called being "ripped off" in Australia. I was asking if it was anywhere else, since I interpreted that to be the OP's meaning which, as yet, we don't know.

When I first heard the word, a ripoff described exactly the situation you presented. I don't think it's used that way anymore in AmE though. Its meaning has softened, as slang that gets absorbed into everyday language so often does.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, in my lifetime, being ripped off has never meant being robbed or pickpocketed. It has always meant being swindled out of money, either by way of a scam or simply by being charged more for something than it's actually worth.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I feel the same as ems and Piscean and I was assuming that was what was meant: paying too much for something that should have been a lot less money, in exactly the scenarios described. I recently was in Alaska - I saw a shuttle to take me to a spot I wanted to go for $15 each way, which seemed a lot. Then I saw that four other places were all charging the exact same amount, but where the first one left from was actually more convenient. My fear of getting ripped off ended up inconveniencing me.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think I heard the word first in Berkeley, California in 1968, very soon after it first appeared. It was used by members of one ethnic group intimidating schoolchildren of other ethnicities out of their lunch money.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

In my city, many taxicabs used to have a secret button.

While driving you, the dishonest driver would press the button that made the meter go faster. (Sometimes I would be charged $10 too much. And they still expected a tip!)

So many people, including international visitors, were ripped off that finally the TV stations started reporting this situation, thus forcing the city government to finally crack down.

All taxicabs now have meters that are more difficult to tamper with, but I have no doubt that sooner or later someone will find a way to tamper with them.

I hear that people who use Uber know exactly what the fare will be. (And tips are not required.)

P.S. One time a driver was so embarrassed by my generous tip that he returned some of it, his guilty conscience telling him that he had already ripped me off enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.