Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"She began to explain but I interrupted her."

Hi, I would like to ask you at what situations the above sentence would appear? The sentence seems to me somehow confusing and seems to me incomplete. Would you like to expand it in way such that the situation becomes more clear.

Source: Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English

Thank you.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Often "explain" has an object -- the context that came before this would tell us what she was explaining.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Just what is confusing? I know from another thread of yours that you have the dictionary definitions of 'interrupt'. I interrupted her (broke into what she was saying, by saying something myself) as she started her explanation.

Is she interrupted deliberately or not? This is confusing. Why would a person be interrupted when they speak?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Interruptions aren't always done deliberately. Sometimes people just start talking without considering whether the other person has finished what they were saying. However, sometimes people interrupt because they don't like what the other person is saying or because they disagree with it. Are you suggesting that no one ever interrupts anyone else where you live?

(Cross-posted with Piscean.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.