Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I read the following sentence in the Times of India:"For him, acting is just a job and success to him is having a good night's sleep after a long day." What part of speech 'having' belongs to in the sentence and please help me to understand the subtle differences of the grammar. Can 'is having ' be replaced with ' to have' and would that change the meaning of the sentence?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I read the following sentence in the Times of India: (space required here) "For him, acting is just a job and success to him is having a good night's sleep after a long day." What part of speech does 'having' [strike]belongs[/strike] belong to in the sentence? [strike]and[/strike] Please help me to understand the subtle differences of the grammar. Can 'is having' be replaced with 'to have' and would that change the meaning of the sentence?

See my changes above. Note that I enlarged the font in post #1. Remember that small fonts make posts difficult to read, both for those using smartphones and for older people whose eyesight might not be as good as it used to be!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Status
Not open for further replies.