• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • France

conglutination

Hello everybody,
    I am translating a historic text from Arabic into English. I faced with the word "Iltiyam" which means when two things stick together naturally (likewise in body; when two edges of skin stick together after a wound or every adherence which happens naturally without intervention of any glue). I substituted the word "conglutination" by a software. Nonetheless I doubt that it is a good equivalent. Moreover it seems that this word is American while I am obligated to translate in British style.
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Benfi

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: conglutination

I doubt if many speakers of BrE know the word. Which two things come together in the passage you are translating? If you can give us a complete sentence, it may help us to come up with a better term

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • France

This is a historical text is about celestial spheres and the deference between celestial and sub-lunar bodies (in antiquity, people believed that it is impossible for celestial bodies to crack or to adhere together, while in sub-lunar world breaking and sticking is possible for bodies.
    The original text is: For celestial bodies, it is impossible to break so *Iltiyam* never happens while in sub-lunar world, a body may break so *Iltiyam* happens.

This likewise that in skin a wound happens then the place of ripe stick together naturally.
    Last edited by alfabenfi; 10-Jul-2016 at 11:44.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by alfabenfi View Post
    This is a historical text is about celestial spheres and the difference between celestial and sub-lunar bodies (in antiquity, people believed that it is impossible for celestial bodies to crack or to adhere together, while in the sub-lunar world breaking and sticking is possible. bodies.
    The original text is: For celestial bodies, it is impossible to break so *Iltiyam* never happens while in the sub-lunar world, a body may break so *Iltiyam* happens.

This Likewise, that in skin if there is a wound in someone's skin, happens then the place of ripe (I don't know what the underlined phrase means) stick together naturally.
    Note my corrections above. I'm afraid I don't know of a general term for the way the two sides of a wound naturally stick together. We probably need to wait for someone with medical expertise.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • France

Thanks a lot! By the way the case "skin and wound" was only an example. The original text is about everything in nature like two clouds in the sky when they stick together and body is in general sense here as natural things like stone or wood or the body of human.
    Thank for your corrections (it is really helpful). I edited my ex-post I had omitted "for" in a sentence. Please look at it again.
    Last edited by alfabenfi; 10-Jul-2016 at 11:55. Reason: spelling