• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

was struck by a a rock

Dear guests,

The fragment below is taken from the description of the sculpture "Boy with a Dolphin" by Lorenzo Lorenzeto in the Hermitage museum:

"The boy and the dolphin were very good friends and lived together, but once while swimming in the sea the boy was struck by a a rock and drowned. The dolphin dived to lift the boy's body from the sea bed and brought the boy to the shore and died together with him. Quite a sad story".

Is the use of "was struck by a rock" correct? I'm not sure about the verb "strike" (maybe "hit"?) and the Passive voice here.

If my construction is wrong, please tell me the correct way of saying this.

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: was struck by a a rock

Your construction has only one tiny error: the period at the end of the quotation belongs inside the quotation mark. When a quotation includes the punctuation ending a sentence, the punctuation is part of the quote and must be placed within the quotation marks.

The Hermitage's description is good English, though some people might dislike the verbless sentence at the end. Struck is the past tense of strike, which means "to hit" in this phrase.

I use the past tense dove rather than dived, but that may be an AmE habit.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

There is one glaringly obvious error, both in the title and in the post - the repetition of the indefinite article.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    There is one glaringly obvious error, both in the title and in the post - the repetition of the indefinite article.
    Just a misprint with double "a". I can't correct the thread title now because my thread has already been replied to.

What about the following sentences:

1) ... but once while swimming in the sea the boy was hit by a rock ...

2) ... but once while swimming in the sea the boy struck himself against a rock ...

3) ... but once while swimming in the sea the boy hit himself against a rock ...

I think in my original sentence we focus on the rock because we use the Passive ("was struck by a rock"), but I also need a sentence where we'll focus on the boy and therefore I've suggested "struck himself against..."

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by milan2003_07 View Post
    Just a misprint with double "a". I can't correct the thread title now because my thread has already been replied to.

What about the following sentences:

1) ... but once while swimming in the sea the boy was hit by a rock ...

2) ... but once while swimming in the sea the boy struck himself against a rock ...

3) ... but once while swimming in the sea the boy hit himself against a rock ...

I think in my original sentence we focus on the rock because we use the Passive ("was struck by a rock"), but I also need a sentence where we'll focus on the boy and therefore I've suggested "struck himself against..."

Thanks
    Number 1 works. In 2 and 3, write struck a rock and hit a rock.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It's going to depend on what happened - did the boy swim into a rock (i.e. 'hit a rock'), or did somebody throw a rock and hit him? If the latter, then #1 works. If he ran into the rock while swimming (i.e. the rock was stationary and the boy swam into it), then use either of GoesStations suggestions for #2 and #3.

I found the original sentence odd, because it sounded like the boy was out swimming in the ocean when a rock flew through the air to contact him. Not impossible I suppose, but unlikely unless somebody was throwing rocks at him, or he was swimming near a collapsing cliff.

I think the passive form is only going to sound natural if it's a case where a moving rock hits the swimming boy. If's it's a case of careless swimming by the boy, then the passive sounds weird because it makes it sound like the rock came alive and struck him.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Struck/hit a rock sound more likely to me. I agree with Srej that was struck by a rock suggests the rock fell from above.