Is Ultimate Frisbee popular in your country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wulala

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,I have been playing Frisbee for around 2 years in China, and the game has been spring up acorss the hole country, and I am totally enamoured of it. It is a game mixed of style of basketball and football. All you need to have is a pair of cleat, a disc and a field, then you can get start.There are many open tournaments and mix games (aka hat game) every year in this Country and friendly matches and scrimmages in my city. I also have a university team called postman, where I and my teammates go through ebb and flow and exiploit the happness of this game.
Have you ever heard about this charming sport in your country? And since it is a game coming form the USA, could you tell me what exactly the current situation is in there.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've heard of Frisbee, but Ultimate Frisbee has escaped me. (UK)

wulala

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Wow! Team GB is a competitive team.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd say it's a fairly minor sport in the US. The Wikipedia entry cites 5.1 million players in the US, compared to about 13 million for soccer, 9 million for American football, 24 million for basketball, 23 million for baseball/softball, 43 million bowlers, 3 million for ice hockey, 10 million for volleyball, and 680,000 playing lacrosse.

Those are just some comparable team sports. It's harder to gather numbers on individual sports.

Those numbers are cited from this Wikipedia entry.

More data at the US Census website. This file, from 2009 indicates similar numbers, including 32 million anglers, 34 million hikers, 24 million hunters, 8 million skiers, 24 million recreational shooters (non-hunting), and something like 8.6 million skiers of various types (both alpine and cross-country).

It seems to be in line with sports such as water skiing, paint-balling, muzzle loading, mountain biking, and archery, all of which have numbers in the 5-8 million participant range.

So, although it's a team sport, you'll see that Utimate has numbers that are more on par with individual activities. Compared to other team sports, it's not played that widely.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As it's Ultimate Frisbee, it seem to be different from simply chucking a frisbee around, which is the sport as I would know it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As it's Ultimate Frisbee, it seem to be different from simply chucking a frisbee around, which is the sport as I would know it.

It certainly seems to be more than our shared understanding of just throwing a frisbee from one person to another.

http://www.whatisultimate.com/

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ultimate Frisbee (or more commonly just ultimate) was quite popular in my little American college town about thirty years ago. I don't know how it has fared since then.

Bloodred

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Even though I'm interested in sports, I have never heard about the Ultimate Frisbee. (Russia)
But sometimes I see people throwing a disc to each other, which is, of course, not the same. :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My nephew was on his college's team and traveled throughout the northwest playing other colleges.

It's not that popular among the general population, but the people who play it are very passionate about it.

wulala

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The stereotype of Russian male, on the Chinese internet, is a strong man naked in the winter gulping vodka.:cool: Well, no offense, but I am curious about what is the most popular sport in Russia?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You mean being naked in the snow gulping vodka isn't a sport?! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.