Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

Anyone knows the difference:

A. Earnings Per Share Trailing Twelve Months
B. Earnings Per Share Last Four Quarters

I need to calculate the Trailing P/E for a specified share/stock.

According to http://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/trailingpe.asp, the Trailing P/E ratio is equal to "Current Share Price / Earnings Per Share Trailing Twelve Months".

But I have a little confusion about the "last four quarters" and "trailing twelve months". Are they the same thing or different thing?

Please help, thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi Raymott,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try it later.

Could you help to have a look at the above link "http://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/trailingpe.asp"?

It says "Trailing price-to-earnings (P/E) is calculated by taking the current stock price and dividing it by the trailing earnings per share (EPS) for the past 12 months".

An then under section "BREAKING DOWN 'Trailing Price-To-Earnings - Trailing P/E'", it says "The P/E ratio is calculated by dividing a company's stock price by its earnings from the most recent fiscal year".

It seems investopedia.com has mixed up the "the past 12 months" and "the most recent fiscal year". I think "the past 12 months" and "the most recent fiscal year" are not the same thing.

Can you help to check? Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, you are right - they are not the same thing. Nor is "the most recent four quarters". But did you read the whole page?
In the last paragraph, it says:
A disadvantage of the P/E ratio is that stock prices are constantly moving, while earnings remain fixed. Analysts attempt to deal with this issue by using the trailing P/E ratio, which uses earnings from the most recent four quarters rather than earnings from the end of the last fiscal year.

I take this to mean that there are different ways to calculate the Trailing P/E ratio (with different results), and that economists do it this way (above).
But the definition uses 12 months. This can be taken as the 12-month result from the last fiscal year, or - as economists do - the last four quarterly results, whichever quarters are most recent (ie. trailing). So, instead of getting one [STRIKE]Trailing[/STRIKE] P/E ratio each year (Current Share Price/ 2015 fiscal year earnings), then (Current Share Price/ 2016 fiscal year earnings etc.) you get one each quarter - (Share Price / Jan+Apr+Jul+Oct), then (Share Price / Apr+Jul+Oct+Jan) etc.
So, it's more up-to-date using the trailing quarters method. It's still 12 months, but it's four quarters - so the definitions are confusing, but not contradictory.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
PS: And to your initial question, I don't think you can tell just from the term "Trailing 12-month P/E ratio" whether they mean 12 monthly or four quarterly results. It can't be one yearly result, because that isn't trailing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.