• Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

• Post Thanks / Like

Word "bygone"

I have tried to use the word "buygone" in my sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. Sometimes David would meet his old friends and they would exchange the memories from bygone days.
    2. The city is filled with contemporary architecture, but in some parts of it, the vestiges of bygone age could also be found.
    3. Laura did not like to talk with her husband about her bygone years in the orphanage.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Word "bygone"

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    I have tried to use the word "bygone" in my sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. Sometimes David would meet his old friends and they would exchange the memories from bygone days.
    2. The city is filled with contemporary architecture (no comma here) but, in some parts of it, the vestiges of a bygone age could can also still be found.
    3. Laura did not like to talk with her husband about her bygone years in the orphanage.
    Note my suggested changes above.
    Sentence 3 doesn't really work with "bygone". I don't think you need an adjective there at all. She just doesn't like to talk to her husband about her years in the orphanage. It's obvious that those years are in the past.

We don't use "bygone" very often at all, save for the phrase "Let bygones be bygones".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.