Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
hi
I'm an interested learner of English and I have some problematic sentences that need suitable question tags.
Let's start

1- We got to go now,........?
2-We better go now,..........?
3-Many a man failed,............?
4-I suggest he be punished,..........?
5-I wish he were a king,..........?

thanks in advance!

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
well, I will give my own opinions

1-haven't we "ellipsis, i.e there is a "have" omitted in spoken language "
2-hadn't we "ellipsis, i.e there is a "had" omitted in spoken language "
OR bettern't we "in children language and this word is not attested "
3-didn't they / did they not "more formal and a better question tag to this formal sentence " Note: "Many a man= Many/a lot of men "
4-shouldn't he/should he not [better question tag] "Because it is the Subjunctive Mood and we use "should" in this mood or omit in very formal language "
5-don't I/do I not "although we get the question tag from the subordinate clause usually ,here we can't because the meaning will change and the subject doesn't agree with the verb in number so we have to get the question tag from the main clause 'I wish' "

Now we can discuss more quickly . please contribute and don't hesitate to share your knowledge or opinion Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Write Hadn't we better...? Use not only with an auxiliary verb unless the main verb is to be.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thank you very much, Piscean for replying.

As for the third sentence, I 'd like to say that the "Many a " structure really takes a singular verb but it conveys the meaning of plural. the whole matter is about the pronoun that can be used instead of the "Many a " structure and it can't be "he" because "he" implies that what we mean is "one man only" while the meaning is plural .

As for the fourth sentence, why didn't you consider it "ellipsis" like the first two sentences ? Also, why would a person use a question tag to make sure of his suggestion itself instead of making sure of the suggestion says. [Its content, I mean]

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Write Hadn't we better...? Use not only with an auxiliary verb unless the main verb is to be.

I agree
thank you for your kind reply.That's why I said that "bettern't" exists mostly in children's language.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much, Piscean, for replying.

We are now done with the first two sentences, right?

Now, as for the third sentence, I'd like to say that the "many a" structure really takes a singular verb but it conveys the meaning of plural. The whole matter is about the pronoun that can be used instead of the "many a" structure and it can't be "he" because "he" implies that what we mean is "one man only" but the meaning is plural.

As for the fourth sentence, why didn't you consider it an "ellipsis" like with the first two sentences? Also, why would a person use a question tag to make sure of his suggestion itself instead of making sure of what the suggestion says.

I am waiting for your opinion of the fifth sentence.

Thanks for your reply.

I agree.
Thank you for your kind reply. I am waiting for your opinion of the other sentences.

Note my corrections above. It's important to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
Thanks, emsr2d2
I'll take punctuation into consideration.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That is [strike]so[/strike] accurate, indeed, but I will do my best.

Again, see above. As I said, do not put a space before a comma but put a space after one.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
See above. As I said, end every sentence with a punctuation mark.

I will take some time till I get used to it, but don't worry I'll do my best.

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Try doing it rather than just repeatedly saying you will. The suggestions ems gave you are pretty clear:

I have neither studied punctuation well nor used it so accurately, but I am really doing my best. All my focus is on grammar and vocabulary as I don't need to use punctuation except in certain situations.

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Why have we stopped discussing?
I will put some more confusing sentences once we are done with these ones.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
What has happened?
No one agrees or disagrees with my opinion.
At least, tell your own opinions.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
If you going to use the somewhat dated 'many a noun ' structure, then you simply have to accept that the noun is in the singular form, and the verb following it is also singular. The fact that we know we are dealing with several nouns is irrelevant. Grammatically have a singular subject. In the highly unlikely event that you not only use this structure but also add a question tag, then you are going to have to live with the question tag being singular in form.
I'll try to get the point of your opinion.
What about the fifth sentence?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Let's see if you have any follow-up questions about the fourth before we go on to the fifth.
I don't consider your opinion wrong. I just see that it is odd. But I need no further explanation for it.
Now, let's tackle the fifth sentence.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Why is it odd?

If I used a singular pronoun to replace the "Many a " construction, of course, It would seem odd because I know and feel that the meaning is plural for sure.
Now, let's tackle the fifth sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not disputing that it's odd but there are many aspects of English that are odd/illogical.

Many a woman is concerned about her health.
More than one man is able to learn about this issue.

Sometimes, you just have to accept it, learn some example sentences and move on.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I'm not disputing that it's odd but there are many aspects of English that are odd/illogical.
Many a woman is concerned about her health.
More than one man is able to learn about this issue.
Sometimes, you just have to accept it, learn some example sentences and move on.
Thanks very much for this precious advice, but I sometimes try to get beyond ordinary sentences and also find logical and acceptable justifications for them. It's the sense of innovation.
Some questions that I had thought of were asked before and I didn't know until I had googled, but I also have some very good sentences that have never been asked. I talked a lot enthusiastically. :D
Finally, I must thank you for this precious advice. Also thanks to you, I learned some useful rules of punctuation. :D

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
The idea behind it may be plural, but the structure is singular. It's not dissimilar to More than one man has failed, hasn't he?

The problem also comes with more than one person. We'd probably have to go with a plural verb-form in the question tag there. Many of us accept singular they in preference to S/he or He or shebut we still use a plural form of the verb with it.

I have understood what you mean.
It's more natural for me to say:
"Many a man/More than one man fell, didn't they? 'men' " but I also think using a singular pronoun is correct but it seems odd, stilted or very formal to me.
Now, let's proceed to answer the fifth question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.