Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"For a balloon to float, it must be filled with a gas that is lighter than the air around it".

What part of speech does "For a balloon to float" belongs? And what is its grammatical role in the sentence( what does it modify in the sentence)?
Thanks in advance.

Jignesh.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'd call it a prepositional phrase. It's functioning as an adverb.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
"For a balloon to float, it must be filled with a gas that is lighter than the air around it".

What part of speech does "For a balloon to float" belongs? And what is its grammatical role in the sentence( what does it modify in the sentence)?
Thanks in advance.

Jignesh.

It's an infinitive clause of purpose. I agree with Raymott that it is form of adverbial clause which modifies the entire main (independent) clause.

However, I disagree with its classification as a prepositional phrase. "for" does not express relation in this context but purpose, like "in order for...".

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think 'for' is a preposition here, and 'a balloon' is its object, which is modified by 'to float'.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's an infinitive clause of purpose.
I'm finding it difficult to find a definition of "infinitive clause" that doesn't specify that it must begin with an infinitive. Do you have one?

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I'm finding it difficult to find a definition of "infinitive clause" that doesn't specify that it must begin with an infinitive. Do you have one?
You're right. It is not an infinitive clause by any standard definition, and I should not have made my point so baldly.

I also accept that "for a balloon" is a prepositional phrase.

If you don't mind me asking, how would you characterise: "for a balloon to float"? Thank you.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Well, I called it a prepositional phrase. Beyond that, I don't feel confident to explain it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.