Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does it make sense to say like 1? We can assume "When I get my order (in the future) can you tell me?(=can you let me know?", which is different from 2. It might sound weird, but I wonder if it makes sense.

1. Can you tell me when I get my order?
2. Can you tell me when I will get my order?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does it make sense to say like 1? We can assume "When I get my order (in the future) can you tell me?(=can you let me know?", which is different from 2. It might sound weird, but I wonder if it makes sense.

Number 1 doesn't make sense. I will already know that I have received my order because it's in my hands or on my table. You could ask Can you tell me when you ship​ my order?

Man of Manners forgot to mention that he is not a teacher. His analysis is incorrect.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I am not a teacher but I have a healthy interest in English.
The first sentence can mean:
1- The speaker is asking the listener to tell him something, which is not mentioned in the very same sentence, at the time of getting their order. It's the same as: "When I get my order, can you tell me [...sth...]?
2-The speaker, who is new in a place, is asking the listener, who might also be new in the same place or might not, when all the people in that place get their order.

I'll say I am not a teacher, as you are, GoesStation, in my signature.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I am not a teacher but I have a healthy interest in English.
The first sentence can mean:
1- The speaker is asking the listener to tell him something, which is not mentioned in the very same sentence, at the time of getting their order. It's the same as: "When I get my order, can you tell me [...sth...]?
2-The speaker, who is new in a place, is asking the listener, who might also be new in the same place or might not, when all the people in that place get their order.

I can imagine a scenario where A and B are in a restaurant and A has gone to another table to chat with a friend. Before leaving, A says sentence 1 to B. It would be carelessly worded, though; the right thing for A to say would be Can you tell me when my order comes or arrives?

I'll say I am not a teacher, as you are, GoesStation, in my signature.

You've written that I, GoesStation, am a teacher. I'm not. :) I think you meant to write I'll say I am not a teacher, as you do, GoesStation, in my signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.