Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello,
I have some diffiiculty understanding this sentence "This group (...) includes some very prominent conservative Republicans such as many associated with National Review (...)."
I wonder if such as could possibly mean the same as as well as, which would make it quite clear, but it does'nt sound grammatically OK to me. Or does it?
Thank you in advance.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, the two things do not mean the same thing. When people use "such as" they give you an example of what they are talking about. When they use "as well as" they mention things in addition to what they are talking about.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You may have elided some critical bits of the sentence. Could you post the whole thing, and reference its source?

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The correct spelling is "elided".

Osmin

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I am sure I did not leave out any critical bit of the sentence. My point was to ask native speakers if they felt something was wrong with this use of "such as". It did look strange to me but as a foreign speaker you like to make sure you have not missed something out. It just appears to be a case of sloppy editing of the original English text, then. Thanks to both of you!

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am sure I did not left out any critical bit of the sentence. My point was to ask native speakers if they felt something was wrong with this use of "such as". It did look strange to me but as a foreign speaker you like to make sure you have not missed something out. It just appears to be a case of sloppy editing of the original English text, then. Thanks to both of you!

It's impossible to judge whether such as was used correctly without seeing the complete original sentence.

Write I am sure I did not leave out any critical bit of the sentence. "Did" puts the verb into the simple past. It has to be followed by a bare infinitive: I leave, I left, I don't leave, I did not leave.

Osmin

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Shame on me! Thank you for correcting.
The complete original sentence reads: "This group is possibly quite small, although it includes some very prominent conservative Republicans such as many associated with National Review, for a long time the principal journal speaking for neo-Conservatives."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Shame on me! Thank you for correcting.
The complete original sentence reads: "This group is possibly quite small, although it includes some very prominent conservative Republicans such as many associated with National Review, for a long time the principal journal speaking for neo-Conservatives."

Thanks for posting the complete quotation. It's carelessly written. I think the author intended such as to refer to "very prominent conservative Republicans" but lost the thread. Perhaps they meant to say "This group, which may be quite small, includes some very prominent conservative Republicans, many of them associated with the National Review." It doesn't mean "as well as".

Now that I've see the whole sentence, I agree that your elided version did not leave out anything essential. It's just as bad in the complete version. :)

Osmin

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
It makes sense. I think your guess is right. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.