Question tag — you go there right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
hi
This is a new thread in which we will discuss some problematic sentences that need suitable question tags.
The sentence is:

you go there right now,.........?

thanks in advance!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi!

Perhaps:

You go there right now, will you?

(Unlikely.)

You're welcome.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please capitalize each word that starts a sentence.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hi
This is a new thread in which we will discuss some problematic sentences that need suitable question tags.
The sentence is:

you go there right now,.........?

thanks in advance!

The only natural question tag for that is probably "okay?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"You go there right now" simply would not attract a question tag. It sounds like an order or an imperative. If it's just a statement, it's unnatural in the present tense.

"You're going there right now, are you?" is natural and possible. It asks for confirmation or clarification.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Wasn't it you who was told that imperative sentences don't take question tags? Therefore, they don't 'need' them, do they?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
You go there right now, will you?
This is the right answer. Thanks
Please capitalize each word that starts a sentence.
Sorry, I most often adhere to the rules of punctuation this but this time I unintentionally forgot.
The only natural question tag for that is probably "okay?"
This sentence cannot be natural except if regarded as a imperative because the sentence makes no sense if regarded as a sentence in the present simple aspect, so the suitable question tag is "will you" or other modals used to tag imperatives. Your answer is also right.
"You go there right now" simply would not attract a question tag.
"You go there right now" simply would not attract a question tag except if regarded as an imperative.
It sounds like an order or an imperative. If it's just a statement, it's unnatural in the present tense.
I agree it is an imperative.
Wasn't it you who was told that imperative sentences don't take question tags?
I think it wasn't me, but I think it is known that imperative sentences can be tagged.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't see it as an imperative.

I'm looking for a new gym. I've been thinking about the one over on Maple. I went there once years ago and didn't like it much, but I hear they have a new owner. You go there right now, don't you? You're a current member? Would you recommend it as a good one for me?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I didn't see it as an imperative.
Why? Most of us see it as an imperative.
I'm looking for a new gym. I've been thinking about the one over on Maple. I went there once years ago and didn't like it much, but I hear they have a new owner. You go there right now, don't you? You're a current member? Would you recommend it as a good one for me?
With no surrounding context, we would see it as an imperative. You created a context where it can be seen as an ordinary sentence in the present simple tense but I see it unnatural. I'd just say "you go there, don't you?" if I wanted to use the context you gave.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
With no other context to go o, people can see it in different ways. Barb, a native speaker of AmE, saw it in a different way from some others.
I respect her viewpoint but this doesn't necessarily prevent me from telling my own.
Well, I don't, and I am a native speaker of BrE.
Dear, Piscean, I meant the sentence doesn't seem natural in the context she gave because of "just now" because if the present simple were to be used, It would surly denote a habit and "just now" makes us think it is not present simple because no habit just happens just now.
I hope you have understood what I mean.
With respect to your opinion, emsr2d2 also said, If it's just a statement, it's unnatural in the present tense." and this is what I am saying.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I respect her viewpoint but this doesn't necessarily prevent me from telling my own.

Dear, Piscean, I meant the sentence doesn't seem natural in the context she gave because of "just now" because if the present simple were to be used, It would surly denote a habit and "just now" makes us think it is not present simple because no habit just happens just now.
I hope you have understood what I mean.
With respect to your opinion, emsr2d2 also said, If it's just a statement, it's unnatural in the present tense." and this is what I am saying.
When did "right now" become "just now"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I just spotted that too.

Right now = at this moment
Just now = a few moments ago

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There have been a lot of posts from you recently in which you have said that you wrote things "absent-mindedly". Try to concentrate when you are writing your posts. Read through them again before you post them, checking for spelling errors and other unintentional slips.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
There have been a lot of posts from you recently in which you have said that you wrote things "absent-mindedly". Try to concentrate when you are writing your posts. Read through them again before you post them, checking for spelling errors and other unintentional slips.

I will do this, I promise. I just type quickly and I sometimes have a lot of things to type. That's why I make unintentional slips.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[right now] This makes the sentence be used in the present continuous not the present simple. Is this right?

No, that's not right.

I am hungry right now. I don't want to wait another two hours for dinner.
What does he do? Well, he's a teacher, but he's between jobs right now, since we just moved to a new city.
Our church has an interim minister right now, but the search committee is close to making their recommendation for a permanent one.
This isn't a good time to talk about this. I can see you are distracted right now.
Look, kids, Dad isn't mad at you. He's just really, really busy at work right now and when he comes home, he's still thinking about work.

Are those enough examples?

At this moment OR at this point in time, or this point in our journey. It can mean a rather long period of time, in the case of the teacher or the church. It simply means that it is expected to change in the future and it's different than it was in the past.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear, Barb D
I mean that there is no habit that can be happening only now as "right now" suggests. That's why the present simple is not natural nor grammatical.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear, Barb D
I mean that there is no habit that can be happening only now as "right now" suggests. That's why the present simple is not natural nor grammatical.

So I understand you to say that my sentences, using "right now" and the simple present are both unnatural and ungrammatical?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
So I understand you to say that my sentences, using "right now" and the simple present are both unnatural and ungrammatical?
No, I am not saying this.
They simply denote facts and I meant "a habit" as I said in the previous posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.