Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone, I tried to describe something that I saw today in oral English. But still I think there's some mistakes in it. Could you take a look and find the mistake for me and how would you describe the scene if you were to describe it? Again, it's meant to be in oral English so that it's meant just for clarity!

"Today I saw some vegabond looking for food in the trash bins while I was wandering aroung the campus playing Pokémon Go. He started searching in trash bins specialized for bottles and cans. I saw him drinking liquids left by others. He drank several leftovers in different trash bins. And then, he started searching for food in trash bins specialized for compost. I saw him manage to find something. He ate some can, possibly a fish can, using a spool on the scene. And he took something away with him after searching from several trash bins around. I think he got a transparent package of possibly burgers and I couldn't see the other clearly. But he took these two to save for later."

Thanks in advance!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Today I saw some vegabond looking for food ..." Vegabond - A vagabond who looks for only vegetarian food?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Today I saw some vegabond looking for food ..." Vegabond - A vagabond who looks for only vegetarian food?

I sincerely hope so! That would be a great new word. However, this vegabond isn't doing very well given that, in the course of the story, he ate both fish and meat.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Today I saw some vagabond looking for food in the trash bins while I was wandering around the campus playing Pokémon Go. He started searching in [STRIKE]trash[/STRIKE] recycle bins [STRIKE]specialized[/STRIKE] (used) for bottles and cans. I saw him drinking [STRIKE]liquids left by others. He drank several leftovers in[/STRIKE] what was left in several bottles and cans from different trash bins. And then, he started searching for food in the other trash bins. [STRIKE]specialized for compost.[/STRIKE] I saw him manage to find something. He ate the contents of some (tin) can, possibly fish. [STRIKE]can, using a spool on the scene.[/STRIKE] And he took something away with him after [STRIKE]searching from[/STRIKE] rummaging through several trash bins around. I think he got a [STRIKE]transparent package of possibly[/STRIKE] half-eaten burger still in its wrapping, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] and I couldn't see the rest of what he got [STRIKE]other[/STRIKE] clearly, but he took [STRIKE]these two to save[/STRIKE] that away for later.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't say he rummaged through the trash bins "around". Just say he rummaged through the trash bins.

kayakForFun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States

:oops:That's nice word...

kayakForFun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
I sincerely hope so! That would be a great new word. However, this vegabond isn't doing very well given that, in the course of the story, he ate both fish and meat.
Yeah, that was a sad.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yeah, that was [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] sad.

See above. Don't use an article before an adjective if the adjective is not followed by a noun.

That was sad.
That was a sad fact.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Don't say he rummaged through the trash bins "around". Just say he rummaged through the trash bins.

I parsed the OP's text as "several of the trash bins which were around/about the place."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

He rummaged through the bins around the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.