Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentence sounds natural. Would you please correct my mistakes?

David bumped into Anna and noticed that she was fatter now than when they met for the first time four years ago.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's grammatically correct but it's very undiplomatic! We don't tend to comment on other people's weight, particularly when it's a negative observation. I find the use of "fatter" particularly unpleasant. I might be persuaded by "... and noticed that she had put on a lot of weight since they met for the first time". Even then, it's really only acceptable as a report of something he noticed and kept to himself. I sincerely hope he didn't tell Anna or anyone else what he thought.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
emsr,

Of course, my sentence would be undiplomatic if David told Anna what he saw, but he just noticed that she had become overweight. There is no suggestion in my sentence that he had told her anything.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, let's leave aside the question of diplomacy for now.

In your original post, you said she had become "fatter". That suggests that she was already fat when they met for the first time and now she is even more so. In post #3, you said that he noticed she had become overweight. That suggests that she was not overweight when they first met but now she is. Which one did you mean?

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
My first post was clear. David thought that Anna was fatter now than when they met for the first time. In my second post I made a mistake trying to explain to you that David never told her anything. My original question was about the grammar, and not about the correctness of the word "fat".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not now talking about the correctness of the word "fat". I'm simply pointing out that "was fatter" does not mean the same as "became overweight".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
David bumped into Anna and noticed that she was fatter now than when they met for the first time four years ago.

Since the sentence is in the past tense, I think "now" should be changed to "then".

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
tedmc,

I have to tell you that in your version, the sentence does not make sense.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Since the sentence is in the past tense, I think "now" should be changed to "then".

No, now​ works well. It doesn't have to refer to the actual present, just the present at the time of the action in the sentence.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I think 'now' is fine, even for a situation in the past.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
tedmc,

I have to tell you that in your version, the sentence does not make sense.

No, I think it still makes sense. "Then" would refer to the time when David bumped into Anna.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
No, I think it still makes sense. "Then" would refer to the time when David bumped into Anna.

No. It doesn't make sense with "then".

Status
Not open for further replies.