Equipment & information, singular or plural

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmo

Some nouns cannot have plural form. Are equipment & information two of them? Could you show a couple more? A search of the Internet still shows a couple thousands of "Lots of informations," and some "lots of equipments." Are they wrong?

Microsoft Word flags "informations" as a spelling error, but not "equipments."

Thanks.

BMO

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
bmo said:
Some nouns cannot have plural form. Are equipment & information two of them? Could you show a couple more? A search of the Internet still shows a couple thousands of "Lots of informations," and some "lots of equipments." Are they wrong?

Microsoft Word flags "informations" as a spelling error, but not "equipments."

Thanks.

BMO

One should be careful about saying "never" when it comes to language. Webster's lists a plural form for both words, although they would be used very rarely. Thare is a meaning of "information" that means a gard jury complaint. In this sense, one could have "informations". It is possible to pluralize "equipment" but it is rarely done. The two factories contained similar equipments (the singular also works).

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Mike. We would most likely say I need some some information and not I need some informations. Also, we would say I need some equipment and not I need some equipments.

:)

bmo

Information & equipment

Thanks to both of you. Hope I can keep what I learn. BMO

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I did once see 'information' used in the plural- in Gulliver's Travels, which is a couple of hundred years old. Still, it is the only time I have actually seen it. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.