• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

• Post Thanks / Like

Due regard will be taken of the lay-over period .... hours during the relevant week

Hello everybody!

Seafarers may be required to perform duty rosters up to a maximum of 12 hours per day. Due regard will be taken of the lay-over period to maximize the opportunity for extending rest periods to those crew members who may have been required to work maximum hours during the relevant week. This will be at the sole discretion of the captain. In circumstances where it is necessary to work beyond 12 hours maximum, the appropriate rate of overtime will apply.

In my opinion, the bolded sentence means that the lay-over period (the period of break in travel) will be given due consideration/will be duly taken into account in order to maximize the opportunity to prolong rest periods to those crew members who may have had to work maximum hours during the relevant week; does that mean that those crew members who may have been required to work maximum hours during the relevant week will be more likely to obtain a greater numer of rest periods? - I think so.

Do you agree about both the questions?

The above is a fragment of text from my acquaintance's husband, which is very important to him.

Thank you.

I would be very grateful if somebody would tell whether I understand the sentence properly. If not, please put me right on that.
    Last edited by JACEK1; 28-Jul-2016 at 22:01.