I have been feeling I wasted a lot of time of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"I have been feeling for a few days that I have been wasting my time for the last few days."

"I have been feeling for few days that I have wasted a lot of time of mine."

"I have been feeling for few days that I wasted a lot of time of mine."

Please check.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In 2 & 3, I would use a lot of my time. I would also be more likely to use the present perfect simple for the first verb and the present perfect progressive for the second in all cases.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A lot of time of mine is unnatural.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In 2 & 3, I would use a lot of my time. I would also be more likely to use the present perfect simple for the first verb and the present perfect progressive for the second in all cases.

Could you please elaborate? I didn't get you.

People also say that we should be using "past tense" after present perfect or present perfect continueous. Is it correct to use "present perfect contineous" or "present perfect" after "present perfect contineous" or "present perfect"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would use the following:

I have felt for few days that I have wasted/been wasting a lot of my time.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There is no need for inverted commas round the names of tenses/aspects. Note the spelling of continuous.

There are few firm rules about which tenses can be used with which, only guidelines. We have a great deal of freedom in English about which tenses can be used with which. We are more concerned about whether a tense is appropriate in the clause it is used than which tense has been used in another clause (except insofar as that other tense affects the time/duration/completion) of the action.

Are you saying that we can use present perfect contineous after present perfect or present perfect after present perfect contineous or present perfect after present perfect or present perfect contineous after present perfect contineous? And my sentences are correct apart from "time of mine". We do have the freedom of using tenses in this way. It cannot be considered wrong. Is this what you are saying?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For the second time in this thread, note the correct spelling of "continuous"; it's not "contineous". Please edit post #7 to correct your incorrect spelling three times.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
For the second time in this thread, note the correct spelling of "continuous"; it's not "contineous". Please edit post #7 to correct your incorrect spelling three times.

Please look at post# 6. This is the spelling that I was told.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Correction for post# 7.

Are you saying that we can use present perfect continuous after present perfect or present perfect after present perfect continuous or present perfect after present perfect or present perfect continuous after present perfect continuous? And my sentences are correct apart from "time of mine". We do have the freedom of using tenses in this way. It cannot be considered wrong. Is this what you are saying?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The tenses/aspects in your original sentence are possible. I would probably use the same tenses as Tdol.

What is the first verb and present perfect progressive (is it the present perfect continuous) in Tdol's answer? I am confused.

What is the safest way to use these kind of sentences? I mean is it safer to use past simple in the second part of the sentence after present perfect or present perfect continuous? If you are not sure whether the other tenses can be used in the second part of the sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.