• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

• Post Thanks / Like

scholars would err in drawing which of the following conclusions?

Would you please explain the correct answer of the following question, related to the below reading. Thanks a lot.

Reading:
    Scholars often fail to see that music played an important role in the preservation of African culture in the United States. They correctly note that slavery stripped some cultural elements from Black people—their political and economic systems—but they underestimate the significance of music in sustaining other African cultural values. African music, unlike the music of some other cultures, was based on a total vision of life in which music was not an isolated social domain. In African culture music was pervasive, serving not only religion, but all phases of life, including birth, death, work, and play. The methods that a community devises to perpetuate itself come into being to preserve aspects of the cultural legacy that that community perceives as essential. Music, like art in general, was so inextricably a part of African culture that it became a crucial means of preserving the culture during and after the dislocations of slavery.

20. According to the author, scholars would err in drawing which of the following conclusions?
    I.Slavery stripped the slaves of their political and economic systems.
    II.African music was similar to all other traditions of music in that it originated in a total vision of life.
    III.Music was a crucial part of the African cultural legacy.
    (A) I only
    (B) II only
    (C) I and II only
    (D) II and III only
    (E) I, II, and III

Answer: The book says that B is correct, but I think none of them are correct! I understood the question that it means what conclusion may be concluded wrongly by scholars. In reading, I think that scholars thinks that African musics is similar traditional musics and did not pay attention to the cultural values of African musics. They definitely do not think about the overarching vision of life. So II is not concluded by scholars.
    Last edited by tesoke; 27-Jul-2016 at 21:42.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: scholars would err in drawing which of the following conclusions?

African music is unlike other traditions.Therefore conclusion II, if the scholars were to draw that conclusion, would be wrong. Answer B is correct.