• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

What does "fixin' to" mean in southern American English especially in Texan English?

What does "fixin' to" means in Southern American English, in Texan English in particular. Here are a couple of examples.

(a) Itís fixin' to rain
    (b) I was fixin' to come but I got held up
    In sentence (a) it sounds like "It's either likely to rain" or "It's going to rain".
    In sentence (b) it sounds like "I was planning to come but I got held up".

I prefer this question to be answered either by native speakers of American English or those who have lived in The Southern parts of the United States especially Texas.

Regards,
    Aamir the Global Citizen
    Last edited by Aamir Tariq; 29-Jul-2016 at 17:25.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What doesn "fixing to" means in Southern American especially in Texan English?

Quote Originally Posted by Aamir Tariq View Post
    What does "fixin' to" means in Southern American English, in Texan English in particular. Here are a couple of examples.

(a) Itís fixin' to rain
    (b) I was fixin' to come but I got held up
    In sentence (a) it sounds like "It's either likely to rain" or "It's going to rain".
    In sentence (b) it sounds like "I was planning to come but I got held up".

I prefer this question to be answered either by native speakers of American English or those who have lived in the southern The Southern parts of the United States especially Texas.

Regards,
    Aamir the Global Citizen
    You can replace fixin(g) to with "planning to", "getting ready to" or "about to". Texas is one part of the large Southeastern dialect area where you'd be likely to hear this usage.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What doesn "fixing to" means in Southern American especially in Texan English?

I missed a couple of errors at the top of the post. Write: What does "fixin' to" mean in southern American English?
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    I missed a couple of errors at the top of the post. Write: What does "fixin' to" mean in southern American English?
    Changes made as you suggested. I have come to know that this phrase or expression is also common among Anglo-American community, it's not only just part of the Southern American English but also Anglo-American English. Is that true?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I don't know what you mean by "Anglo-American." It's not used in England or in other regions of the United States.

If you are asking if both white and black people use the phrase in the South, the answer is yes.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What does "fixin' to" mean in southern American English especially in Texan Engli

My dad was from Arkansas, and my mom was from (southern) Missouri. I have been well-acquainted with "fixin' to" all my life.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What does "fixin' to" mean in southern American English especially in Texan Engli

My dad was also from Arkansas, and when I was in the Navy, some of my closer friends were from the South. There was a lot of "fixin' to" around me too.

We were just fixin' to go get some lunch? You want to come along? PT's driving - he's got room to carry you too.

(That use of "carry" to mean "give you a ride" was a new one from my Navy friends from Georgia. I don't recall ever hearing that in Arkansas.)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "Anglo-American." It's not used in England or in other regions of the United States.

If you are asking if both white and black people use the phrase in the South, the answer is yes.
    I am extremely sorry for using Anglo-American English, I wanted to mean Black-American English, I just realized "anglo" is used for English people from Britain.

I am asking if the black American people also use the same term in their dialect. I mean Black Americans have their own dialect that is different from the southern dialect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Aamir Tariq View Post
    I am extremely sorry for using Anglo-American English, I wanted to mean Black-American English, I just realized "anglo" is used for English people from Britain.

I am asking if the black American people also use the same term in their dialect. I mean Black Americans have their own dialect that is different from the southern dialect.
    I'll ask some of the people I know.