[General] What is your level of involvement with sports or physical activities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke_1983

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello!

I am not an English Native Speaker, so sometimes I create a phrase that is understandable but that is a little strange. I would like to ask the following question in a natural way without lose the meaning:
What is your level of involvement with sports or physical activities? Or What was your highest level of involvement with sports or physical activities?
Is that construction strange? Is there a better form to say without lose any meaning?
Thank you all very much!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
What answer do you you expect to get when you ask for the "level of involvement? High/medium/low?
"What is the highest position you have held for your involvement with sports or physical activities?" - this would be more specific and easier to answer, I think.

" ...without losing the meaning."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It sounds to me like a very convoluted way of saying "How often do you play sport or do physical exercise?"

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How often do you play sport or do physical exercise? - Does the frequency of playing a sport a measure of the "level of involvement" in the sport?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It does to me. If you're talking about whether someone was a beginner, intermediate, advance, amateur, professional etc, I would ask "What level did you reach when you were playing [name of sport]?" Asking about someone's "level of involvement" suggests to me that you already know they're involved to some extent and you probably know what sport they're involved in.

Luke_1983

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thank you all very much! You all are helping me a a lot. It is a question with multiple choice. The choices (until now) will be:
A - Very High (Professional athletes, High intensity exercises, Everyday Training).
B - High (Amateur athletes, frequent trainings).
C - Medium (Seldom or light practices and trainings).
D - Low (Few or none practices and trainings).
The answer must not be only about the present but the "best lifetime". If an 80 years old man is answering but he was a professional athlete in his youth, I expect him to answer "High".
Listening to what you said I am thinking about: "How often or intense do (or did) you play sports or do physical activities?" - That "or intense" and that "or did" becomes too much strange?
Thank you all very much for the help!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How often or intensely did you play [name of sport]?

There are two separate questions there and it would require two separate answers. I would probably use "seriously" rather than "intensely".

Luke_1983

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thank you again!
I can't afford a second question but the important is the "best lifetime" be it present or past. So, with all your help I am thinking about:
How often or seriously did you ever play sports or do physical activities?
I believe the "ever" transmits the idea of "previously in the lifetime". Does it sound natural and correct now?
Thank you again. The phrase looks much simple now. It was a lot of help!

Status
Not open for further replies.