[Grammar] ...societies in which millions spoke the same language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy Collihole

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
United States
Then came civilization and the growth of mass societies.

Then came civilization and the growth of mass societies in which millions spoke the same language.

What type of modifier is being used in the second sentence? What noun is it describing?

Spiral

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Modifiers describing Nouns

Then came civilization and the growth of mass societies.

Then came civilization and the growth of mass societies in which millions spoke the same language.

What type of modifier is being used in the second sentence? What noun is it describing?

Having read the page below, I consider it a defining adjective clause modifying 'societies'.
http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/490/grammar/defining-adjective-clauses-rules.htm

Former English teacher here, so I'll try this.

I agree with Matthew that the underlined portion functions as an adjective modifying societies. What kind of societies? Societies in which millions spoke the same language. (Remember, an adjective answers the questions what kind, which one, how many, how much, what color, and whose.)

I checked about.com because I had never heard of a defining adjective clause. One example on that site is this (defining adjective clauses underlined):

The means by which we live have outdistanced the ends for which we live. Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
(Martin Luther King, Jr.)

Spiral

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I'd call it a defining relative clause.

I had to look that up. :-? But from what I was able to find out at the Cambridge dictionary site, "defining relative clause" and "defining adjective clause" serve the same purpose—to modify a noun or pronoun. These clauses start with relative pronouns and serve as adjectives. So, at least to me, the two terms are synonymous.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

If I recall correctly, Piscean did not accept that it functioned as an adjective.
He argued with MikeNewYork about that some time ago.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Status
Not open for further replies.