Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Hello,

Here I provide two attachments. One is the question; the other is the passage. In the passage, the red-underlined sentences are the parts used for answering the question 1 and 2 in my opinion. The answer key says it is "preserve" in no.1 and "unaware" in no.2.

I don't understand the whole sentence's word structure. What is the meaning of "to preserve something unaware"? Is "preserve" a linking verb? Why it can be followed by adjective like "unaware"?

Many Thanks,
BlackMelon

Attachments

• Passage.jpg
    Passage.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2

Spiral

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: IELTS Reading: Cloze Test Problem.

Good questions. Preserve is an action verb that means to keep or to conserve.

The sentence you showed us should really have a comma after charcoal, just for clarity's sake. You may not be the only test taker who was confused by that sentence. The idea of the sentence is "They tried to preserve burning logs or charcoal, because they didn't know that they could create fire themselves."

Hope that helps. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackMelon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand

Oh! your "because" helps me understand the meaning much! Thank you ^_^

Somehow, I am still curious in the word structure "unaware that....". I know the structure like "She is unaware that she has lit a fire in her kitchen". But for this sentence, is it considered as grammatical error? Why can we place the adjective "unaware" in the position like that?

If it is not an error, please provide me some links to read. So, I'll be able to know what kind of phrase it is.

Spiral

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I can see why this confuses you. As I said, the comma would have added some clarity. So it's not a grammatical error, but the sentence was not written as clearly as it could have been.

With the comma, the sentence reads, "They tried to preserve burning logs or charcoal, unaware that they could create fire themselves." You are correct that unaware is an adjective. Since you know it's an adjective, you now need to look for the noun or pronoun it modifies. Who or what is unaware? It modifies the pronoun they.

I'm newer here, but I'd look in the Using English resources for clauses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Oh! Your "because" helps me understand the meaning better! Thank you. [STRIKE]^_^[/STRIKE]
Please don't use home-made emoticons to replace standard punctuation marks. If you want to insert a smiley, click on :) and choose one from the selection available.

Please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Status
Not open for further replies.