Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
When we say "fall short of" or "fall short by" something, we always mean we lack something that we are supposed to have.

Now

When we say, when somebody falls short of something, does it means he falls short of something?

And when we say, when somebody falls short by something, does it means he falls short of a quantity/number of something as in the example below?

The humanitarian organization fell short of funds for the rehabilitation of flood victims, so they decided to raise more money but at the end of the day they fell short by two hundred thousand dollars.

And can we replace "fall' by "run" in both the cases?

We ran short of money.
We ran short by two hundred dollars.
However, "fell short by" sounds more natural to me in this case?Regards,
Aamir the Global Citizen

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fall short of is the general case. Fall short by requires a specific quantity and requires at least an implied of clause: They fell short [of their goal] by two hundred thousand dollars.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
What about run short?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Run short doesn't seem natural to me. Google's N-gram viewer shows that although various inflections of run short exist, they're much less common than inflections of ​fall short.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Run short doesn't seem natural to me. Google's N-gram viewer shows that although various inflections of run short exist, they're much less common than inflections of ​fall short.

Thanks, we use "out" more frequently with "run", as in "we ran out of money", but it would also change the meaning completely. we ran out of money would mean we were completely out of money while we we fell short of money would mean had money but we lacked the required amount of money.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wouldn't use run short in your example.

Status
Not open for further replies.