Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"One day I was traveling in a bus about ten or eleven years back. At that time I was about nineteen years old. I was pursuing graduation at that time. I had an exam on that day so I had to reach my friend's house and from there we had to go to our center to take the exam. I had just started the bodybuilding and I was pretty confident of my strength. I used to do one thing those days. I used to get in a bus from its rear gate or back gate. I would stay in the rear part or the back part of the bus but on that day I went forward in the front part of the busbecause it was crowded. The bus pulled up in a stop and a lot of peopls got off the bus. Two girls wers sitting on the seat that are reserved for ladies and one of them was very beautiful and she was sitting on the outer part of the seat. I saw that there were two guys standing at the bus stop and they were staring that girl through the window. They looked kind of goon and sot kind with beared and moustach one of them suddenly got in the bus came near to that girl and started touching her inappropriatly. I thought of beating him but I stopped because that girl wasn't opposing him (it seemed she wasn't aware of it, she was talking to her friend). I thought that if I did anything, she would say that who was I and that she was a regular commuter or goer and she had to pass through the same route every day and what would happen on the next day if they did anything to avange that beating. So I stood there but didn't do anything. That guy was constsntly looking the face of that girl but after a while she asked him whether he didn't know what is the way to stand in a bus after that guy got off the bus.

Sorry guys forgive me its a bit lenghty but could you please check it.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm going to check the whole story. I just want to show you the most serious mistakes which you'd better avoid from now on.

We normally say "get on the bus" and "get off the bus' but "get in the car" and "get out of the car'. The verb "to stare" requires the preposition "at". The whole sense of this touching story is not clear enough to me. I cannot rewrite your story but I can assure you that if I had to tell a story like this one, I'd definitely do in another way. I didn't understand anything after " I thought that if I did anything...".

You have also misspelled some words like "people" and "moustache"

My question to you is: why do you want to write something like this? Are you writing a story or what?

Last edited by a moderator:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm going to check the whole story. I just want to show you the most serious mistakes which you'd better avoid from now on.

We normally say "get on the bus" and "get off the bus' but "get in the car" and "get out of the car'. The verb "to stare" requires the preposition "at". The whole sense of this touching story is not clear enough to me. I cannot rewrite your story but I can assure you that if I had to tell a story like this one, I'd definitely do in another way. I didn't understand anything after " I thought that if I did anything...".

You have also misspelled some words like "people" and "moustache"

My question to you is: why do you want to write something like this? Are you writing a story or what?

No, I want to correct all the mistakes. I practice myself and speak on the topics that I pick up from the internet or the incidents that happened with me in the past. This way I come across a lot of things that need correction and then I post those here. While speaking about this I wasn't sure about all the things that I spoke so I posted it here. I hope you guys are not annoyed with this.

Is this really a touching story :-| ?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I cannot rewrite your story but I can assure you that if I had to tell a story like this one, I'd definitely do in another way. I didn't understand anything after "I thought that if I did anything...".

I wanted to write that I wanted to beat that guy because I can't stand the sight of a girl being harrased or molested by anyone. I wanted to through him out of the running bus but the thing that stopped me from doing that is the fact that, that girl was going office so she was travelling through bus daily almost at the same time. If I had beaten that guy because of that girl, he would have taken revenge on that girl by doing anything bad to her. So this stopped me from doing anything or out of fear that girl could have scolded me (I heard about few incidents in which girls scolded those guys. Who tried to beat these kind of goons on those girls's behalf because of the fact that they were bad guys and could do anything bad to those gitls latter) because I was present there on that day but how about the other days she had to travel alone then who could have saved her anything could happen to her.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"One day​, about ten or eleven years ago, I was traveling [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on a bus. [STRIKE]about ten or eleven years back. [/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]At that time[/STRIKE] I was about nineteen years old and I was [STRIKE]pursuing graduation[/STRIKE] at university. [STRIKE]at that time.[/STRIKE]

I had an exam [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] that day so first I had to [STRIKE]reach[/STRIKE] go to my friend's house and from there we had to go to our center to take the exam.

I had just started [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] bodybuilding and I was pretty confident of my strength.

[STRIKE]I used to do one thing[/STRIKE] In those days, I used to get [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on a bus [STRIKE]from its[/STRIKE] via the rear [STRIKE]gate[/STRIKE] door. [STRIKE]or back gate.[/STRIKE]

Usually, I [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] stayed [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at the [STRIKE]rear part or the[/STRIKE] back [STRIKE]part[/STRIKE] of the bus but [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] that day I went [STRIKE]forward in[/STRIKE] to the front [STRIKE]part[/STRIKE] of the bus because it was crowded.

The bus pulled up [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at a stop and a lot of [STRIKE]peopls[/STRIKE] people got off. [STRIKE]the bus.[/STRIKE]

Two girls [STRIKE]wers[/STRIKE] were sitting on the seats that are reserved for ladies. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE]

One of them, who was very beautiful, [STRIKE]and she[/STRIKE] was sitting on the [STRIKE]outer part of the[/STRIKE] aisle seat.

I saw that there were two guys standing at the bus stop and they were staring at that girl through the window.

They looked kind of goon and sot kind (I have no idea what that means) [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] and both had a [STRIKE]beared[/STRIKE] beard and moustache.

One of them [STRIKE]suddenly[/STRIKE] got [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on the bus, came [STRIKE]near[/STRIKE] close to that girl and started touching her inappropriately.

I thought of beating him up but I [STRIKE]stopped[/STRIKE] didn't do it because [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] the girl wasn't [STRIKE]opposing[/STRIKE] objecting to [STRIKE]him[/STRIKE] his behaviour.

In fact, it seemed that she wasn't even aware of it because she was talking to her friend.

I thought that if I did anything, she would [STRIKE]say[/STRIKE] ask me [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] who I was.

[STRIKE]I and[/STRIKE] I also thought that she [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] might be a regular commuter [STRIKE]or goer[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]and she had to pass through the same[/STRIKE] on that route [STRIKE]every day[/STRIKE] and I was concerned about what would happen [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] the next day if [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] the man did anything to avenge that beating.

So I stood there but didn't do anything.

That guy was constantly [STRIKE]looking[/STRIKE] staring at the girl's face. [STRIKE]of that girl[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] After a while she asked him whether he didn't know what is the way to stand in a bus after that guy got off the bus.(I don't know what the underlined part means.)

Sorry guys, forgive me. I know it's a bit lengthy but could you please check it?

See my suggested changes and comments above, in red.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See my suggested changes and comments above, in red.

I meant she asked him whether he had any difficulty standing there. She was quiet angry while saying that and that guy got off the bus as soon as he heard that.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
By sot I meant a guy who is an addict and goons means miscreants.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
By sot I meant a guy who is an addict and goons means miscreants.

A "sot" can be used in BrE to mean an alcoholic but I've never heard it used for any other addict. It's also not commonly used. "Goon" is rarely used (if at all) in the context you've quoted. We certainly wouldn't combine them into "a goon and sot kind of guy". The words before "kind of guy" would usually be adjective, not nouns. I'd go for something like "He looked like he might be a criminal and/or an alcoholic".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I meant she asked him whether he had any difficulty standing there. She was [strike]quiet[/strike] quite angry [strike]while saying[/strike] when she said that and [strike]that[/strike] the guy got off the bus as soon as he heard that.

It would be very unlikely for her to ask him if he was having any "difficulty standing there". It doesn't sound like he had a problem standing, there or anywhere else. Something like this might work:

She angrily asked him if he had a problem. After that, he quickly got off the bus.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A 'goon' in AmE is another word for a thug or hired muscle. Somebody who's intimidating, but not very intelligent.

As emsr stated, it's a stand-alone term.

Status
Not open for further replies.