Question tag — Every man should be careful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi!
This is a new thread in which we will discuss some problematic sentences that need suitable question tags.
The sentence is:
Every man should be careful,........?
My opinion: "shouldn't he?"
Thanks in advance!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with your choice.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Why do you think this is 'problematic', man of manners?
Because I first thought that the answer can be "shouldn't they?", but after I thought more carefully, I came to know that since the sentence refers to men individually, the subject should be singular. That, in deed, reminds me of "Many a" which we refer to using a singular subject because of the same reason I have just written in bold. Do you agree on this?

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. Every makes it singular. If you said all men, it would be plural.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Yes. Every makes it singular. If you said all men, it would be plural.
Oh, you seem to have misunderstood me. I will paraphrase my question:
"Is the pronoun that can replace 'many a man/every man' singular only because these two structures refer to men individually.?"

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I don't think GS misunderstood you. Every man and many a man are singular expressions. The words I've underlined are a bit of a giveaway. The use of 'many a' is best regarded as idiomatic.
I meant the reason for using singular pronoun when replacing "Many a/Every".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh, you seem to have misunderstood me. I will paraphrase my question:
"Is the pronoun that can replace 'many a man/every man' singular only because these two structures refer to men individually.?"

I meant the reason for using singular pronoun when replacing "Many a/Every".

It's a mistake to look for logic in every detail of grammar. Piscean has given a satisfactory reason. You can try to find a detailed, logical explanation, but the exercise will only delay your search for the next obscure bit of grammar in need of justification.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
the exercise will only delay your search for the next obscure bit of grammar in need of justification.
It is just formal. These threads I am posting, I have said, are a real problem for ESL learners. We are just curious about the language and want to know the reason behind everything, only if exists but, of course, we will not know this until we ask!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Despite the fact that some of your examples are ambiguous, most ESL learners don't have much of a problem with the simple rule that the question tag is simply an inverted version of the first two words of the original statement. Once they've learnt that, they can form a question tag for most sentences which would naturally require one.

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
most ESL learners don't have much of a problem with the simple rule that the question tag is simply an inverted version of the first two words of the original statement.
I meant those who are highly interested in English as a second language, not common-or-garden learners.
I doubt if they are a serious problem for most learners.
They are not serious but of interest to highly interested educated ESL learners of English who are often curious about some points in grammar that other wouldn't give any attention to. I am one of those learners. :)
If you were a student of mine wishing to improve their ability to communicate effectively in English, I would tell you that there are many more important things to worry about than rare question tags.
Once I am done with these questions, I will have time to study other subjects in English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In post #12, you said they are a "real problem". There, "real" equates to "serious" or "big" for native speakers.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I meant those who are highly interested in English as a second language, not common-or-garden learners.
Assuming I count as the former, I don't think question tags pose a real/serious/big problem.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
In post #12, you said they are a "real problem". There, "real" equates to "serious" or "big" for native speakers.
Then I said, "They are not serious but of interest to highly interested educated ESL learners of English who are often curious about some points in grammar that other wouldn't give any attention to."
Assuming I count as the former, I don't think question tags pose a real/serious/big problem.
Then, why did you not even try to participate in these threads concerning question tags. please, if you will, give your opinion, if there is any.

Status
Not open for further replies.