Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
What is the grammatical function for each part of the following sentence: "That would eliminate any leverage Europeans regarding the many thousands of people who had been arrested in Turkey, he said"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This looks like homework? Why do you want the answers and how far have you got with it yourself?

Rabab Azem

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
In fact, its not a homework. I try to learn English independently by analyzing sentences. But, I find trouble analyzing sentences. I need your help to analyze this sentence so that I understand its meaning. It is taken from a newspaper article. I can provide with more sentences if context is needed.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Rabab Azem

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
It's not possible to analyse that sensibly because it is not a correct English sentence. Please check the original; you may not have copied it correctly.

I am sure I copied it correctly. It's taken from a newspaper article. The newspaper is (the jerusalem post). Should I provide with more sentences in order to understand it through context?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am sure I copied it correctly.

NOT A TEACHER

Hello,

1. I found the sentence on the Web. It seems that you did, indeed, copy it correctly. It appears that the Post accidentally (of course!) left out some words.

I think that the sentence should read:

"That would eliminate any leverage that Europeans had regarding the many people who had been arrested in X," he said.

In my opinion, we should diagram it as:

Main sentence: That would eliminate any leverage regarding the many people who had been arrested in X.

Adjective clause (it modifies "leverage"): that Europeans had. (The "that" could be deleted. Thus it appears that the Post accidentally left out only one word -- "had.")

NOTES:

a. "regarding the many people / who had been arrested /in X" is a prepositional phrase that modifies (describes) "leverage."

i . "who had been arrested" is an adjective clause that modifies "people."
ii. "in X" is a prepositional phrase that modifies "had been arrested."

b. According to at least one of my books, "he said" is a parenthetical element that does not need diagramming.

Last edited:

Rabab Azem

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Thank you for help. I still don't understand the semantic meaning of the sentence though you analized it. Can you help me with its meaning?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It would stop the Europeans from being able to exert pressure or influence over the issue of the people who had been arrested.

Rabab Azem

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
I however wonder why is the word "had" deleted from the sentence! Is there anybody can help me?

Last edited:

Rabab Azem

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Please answer my question.

Status