Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Yesterday I turned on the TV to watch Olympic games. A Marathon race was going on in which an Englands player was ahead of all players. He remained ahead of all for 18 KMs but later on took over by the chinese players and lost then I changed the channel and on other channel trampolin gymnastics finale match was going to start. It was women's championship they had to jump on trampolin and do the stunts. Canada remaind on first place while England on second place."

Please check.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Yesterday I turned on the TV to watch the Olympics. [STRIKE]games.[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]A[/STRIKE] The marathon [STRIKE]race[/STRIKE] was going on [STRIKE]in which[/STRIKE] and an [STRIKE]Englands[/STRIKE] British [STRIKE]player[/STRIKE] runner/athlete was [STRIKE]ahead of all players[/STRIKE]. in the lead/in front. He remained ahead [STRIKE]of all[/STRIKE] for 18km [STRIKE]KMs[/STRIKE] but later on [STRIKE]took over[/STRIKE] he was overtaken by the Chinese [STRIKE]players[/STRIKE] runner/athlete and lost the race.

Then I changed the channel and [STRIKE]on other channel[/STRIKE] found that the women's trampoline [STRIKE]gymnastics[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]finale[/STRIKE] final [STRIKE]match[/STRIKE] was [STRIKE]going[/STRIKE] about to start. [STRIKE]It was women's championship they had to jump on trampolin and do the stunts.[/STRIKE] Canada [STRIKE]remaind on first place[/STRIKE] won the gold [medal] while England [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]second place[/STRIKE] won/took silver."

Please check.

See above.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I'm sure emsr2d2 meant to write "a British" and to put a space between "18" and "km."
Other than that, I would just change "was going on" in the second sentence to "was on."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I should indeed have changed "an" to "a" before "British. Thank you.

However, I did not mean to put a space between "18" and "km". In written BrE, we run them together.

I led for 18km.
He won by 6m. (This could be miles, minutes or metres, depending on the context.)

"The marathon was on" tells us that the TV channel was, at that moment, broadcasting footage of the marathon. It could be a live broadcast or recorded. It doesn't tell us, with any certainty, that the marathon was actually going on (the runners were taking part) at that moment. I assumed it was a live broadcast so I said that the marathon was going on (and it happened to be being broadcast live).

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
tufguy, we write Olympic Games or Olympics, but not Olympics games.

:eek:lympic:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy, I am pretty sure that England doesn't have its own Olympic team. Instead, the UK has a team. (I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong.)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You're not wrong, but it's called Team GB.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, and they just won their first gold medal in gymnastics.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tufguy, I am pretty sure that England doesn't have its own Olympic team. Instead, the UK has a team. (I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong.)

Yes, thanks for reminding me. What a fool I am. England doesn't have a team it's the Great Britain's Olympic team. That was a question related to Geography.

By the way I wanted him to win but unfotunatley he lost but he was very consistent though through out the Marathon.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Didn't you notice that I had changed "England's" in my very first response?

wulala

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is is more proper to change from "change the chanel" to "change chanels"? For the former means making a difference. Such example like the difference between "the train has gone, so I have to change the train" and "change trains", may can suppor my point.
looking forward your request.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is it more proper to change [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] "change the channel" to "change channels"?
wulala, please start a new thread for this question, with the title change the channel/change channels.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is it wrong to say: " ..... to watch the Olympic Games" ? Because I saw in the second reply that @emsr2d2 had crossed the "games" and changed it to "Olympics".

I think both are correct but maybe she did that because the starter of the topic had not capitilised "games" into "Games" and he had also forgotten to put definite article before it.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
No, it wouldn't be wrong, but it's more economical to say "the Olympics."

Status