a few different ways to express the same idea: an interesting fact about this repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello.

In connection with the repair mentioned in my thread entitled "ship is again undergoing repairs/it is for another time that the ship has undergone", I would like to ask you about a few different ways to express the same idea:

1. What is interesting about this repair, from a technological point of view, is that the equipment will be coated with ....... paint.
  2. An interesting fact about this repair, from a technological point of view, is that the equipment will be coated with ....... paint.

What do you think of 'my' two versions?

Thank you.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
A difference that I noted between the two versions in the other thread, but didn't bother to mention, has reared its ugly head again in this one.

Apart from the different phrasing of the sentences, they are not in the same tense. So, are the repairs taking place now or have they already been finished?

I can only assume from this thread that they haven't been finished yet, otherwise the equipment would already be coated with ..... paint.

Now that that's out of the way, these two sentences both work. I prefer 1. but there's nothing in it really.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The repairs are being done, but not at the moment. They have been taking place for a few days now. What do you suggest that I write?

1. What is interesting about this repair, from a technological point of view, is that the equipment is to be coated with ....... paint.
  2. An interesting fact about this repair, from a technological point of view, is that the equipment is to be coated with ....... paint.

????

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The repairs are being done, but not at the moment. They have been taking place for a few days now. What do you suggest that I write?

Your first two sentences contradict each other. By saying "The repairs are being done", it suggests that they are being done at the moment yet you say they're not being done at the moment. Then you go on to say "they have been taking place for a few days now" - that certainly suggests they are ongoing.

Do you mean that the repairs were started a few days ago, have temporarily stopped but will recommence at some point and will eventually be finished?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, that is right. I should have written "they have taken place for a few days now". I think I know how to formulate a new sentence:
There is something new about the repair that we are not accustomed to, namely, equipment is to be coated with ..... paint.

or

It is interesting to know that the equipment is to be coated with ....... paint.

or

It may/might come as a surprise to you to know/learn that the equipment is to be coated with ....... paint.

or

You may/might be surprised by the fact that the equipment is to be coated with ....... paint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.