Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
Hello.
I'd like to ask you a couple of questions:
(a) Whether the language I use robotic or not?
(b) And would you underline a place where any mistakes occur?
I'm not asking to correct anything, just answer these questions. Any help will be appreciated!

By correcting mistakes, regardless what a type of work is, a teacher gives learners the following opportunities (a) to see and/or hear what was good and wrong about work, (b) to ask for further clarifications if something remained unclear, and (c) to continue with the building of confidence in the use of the foreign language.
However, despite all those positive moments, the rectification of mistakes may also affect a learner negatively as it brings a certain risk. In order to see a bigger picture here, I need to provide an example. Let's take correcting written works as that example.
When a learner gets his or her written work back and it is fully colored in red, it may demotivate him or her as no progress can be seen. The learner is likely to stop being eager to learn a foreign language because as a practice has shown, he or she cannot apply his or her knowledge properly. I believe that this is what a risk of correcting mistakes is about. Thus, a teacher needs to be careful and may wish to choose just main errors to correct and to draw learner's attention to and give a proper feedback on them afterwards.

Thanks in advance!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello.
I'd like to ask you a couple of questions:
(a) Whether the language I use robotic or not?
(b) And would you underline a place where any mistakes occur?
I'm not asking to correct anything, just answer these questions. Any help will be appreciated!

By correcting mistakes, regardless what a type of work is, a teacher gives learners the following opportunities (a) to see and/or hear what was good and wrong about work, (b) to ask for further clarifications if something remained unclear, and (c) to continue with the building of confidence in the use of the foreign language.
However, despite all those positive moments, the rectification of mistakes may also affect a learner negatively as it brings a certain risk. In order to see a bigger picture here, I need to provide an example. Let's take correcting written works as that example.
When a learner gets his or her written work back and it is fully colored in red, it may demotivate him or her as no progress can be seen. The learner is likely to stop being eager to learn a foreign language because as a practice has shown, he or she cannot apply his or her knowledge properly. I believe that this is what a risk of correcting mistakes is about. Thus, a teacher needs to be careful and may wish to choose just main errors to correct and to draw learner's attention to and give a proper feedback on them afterwards.

Thanks in advance!
You've left out a few words; some are wrongly used. You can use "him or her" once or twice if you really have to, but four times in a row should alert you to the need to restructure the sentence.

Last edited:

DmitriyF

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
You've left out a few words, some are wrongly used. You can use "him or her" once or twice if you really have to, but four times in a row should alert you to the need to restructure the sentence.

Thanks you, Raymott, a lot for your help! I greatly appreciate it! This helped me indeed!
However, I did not understand about "This is what a risk of correcting mistakes is about". Is this sentence too colloquial? And about the word "opportunities" you've colored the ending in red?

Thanks in advance!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You need a colon after 'opportunities'.
"This is what a risk of correcting mistakes is about". This sentence is wrongly expressed. A risk of correcting mistakes is not about anything. Do you mean that some of those things you mentioned are risks of correcting mistakes? Then those things are risks. The risks aren't about those things. You can say "I believe that these are risks of correcting mistakes."

Status
Not open for further replies.