Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"This morning my internet was not working so I called the internet provider. He told me there is a problem and it would start in half an hour but it didn't start even after one hour so I called him again and got this problem fixed fast."

Please check.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"This morning my internet was not working so I called the internet provider. [STRIKE]He[/STRIKE] The assistant told me there [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was a problem [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] but that it would [STRIKE]start[/STRIKE] be back online in half an hour. [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] Unfortunately, it [STRIKE]didn't start[/STRIKE] wasn't back up even after [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] an hour so I called him again. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]got[/STRIKE] This time, he fixed the problem [STRIKE]fixed[/STRIKE] fast."

Please check.

See above.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See above.

"It wasn't back up even after one an hour so I called him again." Can we say "it didn't back up even after an hour?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. You can say "it wasn't back up", to mean "it still wasn't working; it was still not working".
"It didn't back up" means "It failed to carry out a data backup" or "A data backup failed".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
No. You can say "it wasn't back up", to mean "it still wasn't working; it was still not working".
"It didn't back up" means "It failed to carry out a data backup" or "A data backup failed".

Can we say "yesterday my internet stopped working and didn't work for five hours. 'It started working in the evening' or 'it was back online in the evening at 6 PM'?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can we say "Yesterday my internet stopped working and didn't work for five hours"?
Yes, if you capitalise and punctuate it correctly. It would be quicker and more natural to say "Yesterday, my internet was down for five hours."

Also, can we say
'It started working in the evening' or 'It was back online [STRIKE]in the evening[/STRIKE] at 6 PM'?
With my corrections above, both are correct.

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.