Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"When I went to hospital previously (I mean before last time, my last visit was on 5th of August so I am talking about 23rd of July. So what is the correct word for this?). I told my doctor that another doctor says that I could stop medicines now because the ESR is normal and there is no activity of disease in my body but he told me that in no way they could stop my medicines at this stage. He told me that at this time bacteria is in dormant state and it's a die hard bacteria(I don't know whether it is correct to use this word?) and it won't die like this. They have seen cases in which people took medicines for over one year but disease reoccured so I will have to take medicines for two years."

Sorry guys you told me to post my parahgraphs in another section but I couldn't find eassy and writting section so I am posting it here. Sorry again.

Please check.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've moved the thread for you. The section is called "Editing and Writing Topics".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"When I went to hospital previously (I mean before last time, my last visit was on 5th of August so I am talking about 23rd of July. So what is the correct word for this?). I told my doctor that another doctor says that I could stop medicines now because the ESR is normal and there is no activity of disease in my body but he told me that in no way they could stop my medicines at this stage. He told me that at this time bacteria is in dormant state and it's a die hard bacteria(I don't know whether it is correct to use this word?) and it won't die like this. They have seen cases in which people took medicines for over one year but disease reoccured so I will have to take medicines for two years."

It's very wordy, as are many of your posts. It would be difficult to edit it in the quote box so I'm just going to tell you how I would write it.

At my hospital appointment on 23rd July, I told Dr XXX that Dr YYY had previously told me I could stop taking my medication because my ESR was normal and my disease appeared to be inactive. However, Dr XXX said that he disagreed - he told me that the bacteria is in a dormant stage and that it doesn't simply die off. He told me there were cases in which patients took medicine for over a year but the disease recurred, so he recommended that I stay on my medication for at least two years.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It's very wordy, as are many of your posts. It would be difficult to edit it in the quote box so I'm just going to tell you how I would write it.

At my hospital appointment on 23rd July, I told Dr XXX that Dr YYY had previously told me I could stop taking my medication because my ESR was normal and my disease appeared to be inactive. However, Dr XXX said that he disagreed - he told me that the bacteria is in a dormant stage and that it doesn't simply die off. He told me there were cases in which patients took medicine for over a year but the disease recurred, so he recommended that I stay on my medication for at least two years.

Is it incorrect to use "in no way" like the way I used it?

Is there a one word to address (is it correct to use address here?) your previous visit like my last visit was on 5th of August and I want to talk about 23rd of July?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Is it incorrect to use "in no way" like [STRIKE]the way[/STRIKE] I used it?
Yes, it's incorrect.
You could say, "The doctor informed me that in no way were they prepared to stop my medication at that stage."

Is there a one word to address (is it correct to use "address" here?) [STRIKE]your[/STRIKE] one's previous visit; like my last visit was on the 5th of August and I want to talk about the 23rd of July?

No, "address" is wrong; try "describe."

For the 5th of August visit, use "my most recent visit" or simply "my last visit." For the one before that, use "my second-last visit."

Sujing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Originally Posted by tufguy
Is there a one word to address (is it correct to use "address" here?) [STRIKE]your [/STRIKE]one's previous visit; like my last visit was on the 5th of August and I want to talk about the 23rd of July?

I would really like to know how to mark the line on the texts?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you want to use strike-through (the line), put [strike]text you want a line through[/strike]. The stuff in the square brackets is the code to do it- I have disabled the code so that you can see it. The results would look like this:

[strike]text you want a line through[/strike]

If you open the Go Advanced option when replying, you can select the text and use the [strike]ABC[/strike] button to do it. I don't often use the advanced editor, so knowing the code makes things quicker for me.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy, I believe that die hard bacteria are bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tufguy, I believe that die hard bacteria are bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.

Can we use "die hard" like (can we use how here in place of like?) I used it?

"It's a die hard bacteria."

"He is die hard person."

"It's a die hard animal."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Resistant is a good term for this, though die-hard bacteria is used in some texts, though they seem to be more popular medicine than true science.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But Tarheel said that "die hard" bacterias are resistant to antibiotics.

Say "bacteria" and not "bacterias". (The singular is "bacterium".)

Status
Not open for further replies.