• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Articles in a list

At our hotel, complaints such as a broken fan, a malfunctioned central cooling system, a faulty light switch, etc. are among the most commonly received requests from our in-house guests.
    At our hotel, complaints such as broken fan, malfunctioned central cooling system, faulty light switch, etc. are among the most commonly received requests from our in-house guests.
    At our hotel, complaints such as broken fans, malfunctioned central cooling systems, faulty light switches, etc. are among the most commonly received requests from our in-house guests.

Assuming there is only one fan and one light switch in a guest room, and one central cooling system in the hotel, which of these is correct?
    Is it necessary to use an article for items in a list?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Articles in a list

A complaint isn't really a request, even though the complainer usually expects some action to be taken in response to it.

You can write something like this: Some of the most common communications our hotel receives from guests are complaints about issues like broken fans, faulty light switches, or failing air conditioning.

I put the air conditioning issue last because it seemed more natural to list them in approximate order of severity. I used the plural for fans and switches because the hotel contains more than one of each. If each room had its own air conditioner, I could have written ...or failing air conditioners.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Malfunctioning air conditioning, broken fans and faulty light switches are among the most common complaints from our hotel guests.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Thanks much for the responses.

1. Let's just say there is only one fan and one light switch in each room, will you use a singular noun? If you do, will you use the article?

2. How about this one?

a. The Treat Package includes daily breakfast, one-day ticket to the Ocean Park for two, airport transfer, and 40% discount on spa.
    b. The Treat Package includes daily breakfast, a one-day ticket to the Ocean Park for two, an airport transfer, and a 40% discount on spa.
    c. The Treat Package includes daily breakfast, one-day tickets to the Ocean Park for two, an airport transfer, and 40% discount on spa.

Which of these is correct?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    You can write something like this: Some of the most common communications our hotel receives from guests are complaints about issues like broken fans, faulty light switches, or failing air conditioning.

I put the air conditioning issue last because it seemed more natural to list them in approximate order of severity. I used the plural for fans and switches because the hotel contains more than one of each. If each room had its own air conditioner, I could have written ...or failing air conditioners.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3b3l View Post
    1. Let's just say there is only one fan and one light switch in each room, will you use a singular noun? If you do, will you use the article?
    You could use a singular as above, or a plural with the indefinite article: ...complaints about issues like a broken fan, a broken light switch, or a faulty air conditioner.This doesn't really have anything to do with the number of items in a room. It's just two ways to agree with the plural issues.
    I am not a teacher.

4. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Thanks!

It's more natural for me to use plural nouns to refer to all things of the same class. There are, however, situations where I feel singular nouns are more appropriate. If I use singular nouns for a list of items such as those examples I've provided, is it correct to drop the articles? I'm confused because I've definitely seen some constructions with no articles for singular countable nouns.