What is your most frequently used expression of surprise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I was just wondering what your most frequently used expressions of surprise are. I'm interested to see how different they'll be among those who frequently reply to my threads. Thank you.

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I must have phrased it wrong. I was talking about interjections. What do you use most frequently? Something along the lines of Oh my God!

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I'm asking because I'm interested in how interjections differ among native speakers across the world. What do you often use that you would consider only common in your area of the world?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My most commonly used ones are probably "Oh my god!" and "Bloody hell!" (I'm pretty sure the latter is used almost exclusively in BrE and AusE but I could be wrong). For something particularly surprising or shocking, I do say "Sh*t!" a lot!

Be aware that some of the expressions you're probably going to get in this thread can be considered offensive (or even blasphemous) so I don't recommend actually using them but it's useful for learners to know that they'll hear them.

In that vein, a good example of one that I've only ever heard in southern England (possibly, so far, only in London when I worked there) is "Christ on a bike!"

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I did not know that 'fool me' could be used to express surprise.
You live and learn!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Interestingly, despite my previous answer, when I told my mum about this thread, before I'd told her what my answer was, she said "Oh, that's easy. You say "F*ck" for just about everything!" I thought about it and she's probably right. "F*ck me!", "Holy f*ck" and the very basic "F*cking hell" are frequently to be heard emanating from my oh-so-ladylike facial orifice. :)

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Holy sh*t for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.