[Vocabulary] What is the word for this vessel that is used to pour water while taking a bath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
In each of these pictures you can see a plastic bucket and a vessel inside it. They are part of washrooms especially in the Asian subcontinent and probably in the Middle Eastern countries as well. They are kept under the faucet and filled up with water. The vessel in the bucket is used to pour water on the body while taking a bath. The bucket is called "Balti" in Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi, Hindko and Pashto. The vessel is called "Dollchi" in Urdu and Hindko. Kindly tell me the word for it in English. Regards, Aamir the Global Citizen

Attachments

• Bucket Bath.jpg
    Bucket Bath.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 9
  • aid1750684-728px-Use-an-Indian-Bathroom-Step-3.jpg
    aid1750684-728px-Use-an-Indian-Bathroom-Step-3.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 4

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I saw one in my hotel room and didn't know what to call it, I'd call it a pitcher or a little bucket. If I was familiar with it and was talking to someone who also knew about them, I'd use its local name.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A bucket with a spout or lip is called a pitcher whereas those without it is just called a bucket.
I think a pitcher is used for easy pouring of small quantities of liquid like drinks. The Asian way of bathing usually uses a small bucket scooping water from a trough.The narrow spout serves no purpose in bathing.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It's a jug. I have often used a bucket and jug to bathe when travelling in India.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In those AmE dialects that use the word, a jug is a large bottle with a narrow neck and a stopper. The term "jug wine" refers to cheap wine sold in three-liter or one-gallon bottles.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
OP is the abbreviation of 'original post' or 'original poster'.

Such initialisms are capitalised for the sake of clarity and to distinguish them from actual words which exist in lower case letters. The word op existed as a short form of operation long before online message boards were thought of.

Also, ID is the abbreviation for 'identification'. The word id has a completely unrelated meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.