Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your accent sounds more British- than American-influenced because you drop Rs at the ends of syllables in words like "surface". I wouldn't worry about that, though.

Understanding the reading was more difficult because you mispronounced certain key words. I've listed some of them below.

The first vowel in "geckos" is the same as the vowel in bed, not the vowel in sleep. A vowel followed by two consonants is nearly always pronounced as a short vowel.

Emphasize the first syllable of "lizards". Pronounce the second vowel as a schwa.

The adjective minute and the noun minute are pronounced differently. Adjective: my-NOOT (AmE). Noun: MINN-it, with two short Is.

You should review the pronunciation of mechanism.

Toes is not pronounced like "toys"; rather, it rhymes with nose.

The first syllable is emphasized in contact.

You should review the pronunciation of slipped.

Good luck!

Soroosh96

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Your accent sounds more British- than American-influenced because you drop Rs at the ends of syllables in words like "surface". I wouldn't worry about that, though.

Understanding the reading was more difficult because you mispronounced certain key words. I've listed some of them below.

The first vowel in "geckos" is the same as the vowel in bed, not the vowel in sleep. A vowel followed by two consonants is nearly always pronounced as a short vowel.

Emphasize the first syllable of "lizards". Pronounce the second vowel as a schwa.

The adjective minute and the noun minute are pronounced differently. Adjective: my-NOOT (AmE). Noun: MINN-it, with two short Is.

You should review the pronunciation of mechanism.

Toes is not pronounced like "toys"; rather, it rhymes with nose.

The first syllable is emphasized in contact.

You should review the pronunciation of slipped.

Good luck!
Thanks for your professional reply. Actually i use British accent just for fun! I usually speak in American accent. But the problem is in the place that i live there's no native speaker or a really skillful teacher! However i'm trying to be the best!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're doing well under the circumstances. Two bits of advice for written English:

1. Always capitalize the word I.
2. Use exclamation points sparingly.

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Please also note that the b in climb is silent, as it is with other words ending in -mb: thumb, dumb, numb, lamb, bomb, limb, comb.

Status
Not open for further replies.