[Grammar] She doesn't have to be babysitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
One of my colleagues is telling me that the negative form of this statement, 'she has to be babysitting.' could be 'she has to not be babysitting.'

I say: the correct way is 'She doesn't have to be babysitting.'

Am I right or it might be possible to think of my colleague's way too?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Re: negative statememnt

I think it is grammatical to say 'She doesn't need to be babysat'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"She doesn't have to be babysitting" (grammatical but not at all natural) doesn't mean the same as "She doesn't have to be babysat". In the first, she is not required to look after a younger child. In the second, she doesn't need to be looked after by someone older.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Well actually the question was about the grammatical correctness of 'She has to not be babysitting.'

I does not seem at all nature to me neither. However because of my colleague's question I wanted to make sure if it could be grammatically correct or not.

Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please note that I have changed your thread title.

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

The negative form of the not very natural 'She [STRIKE]doesn't have[/STRIKE] has to be babysitting' is 'She doesn't have to be babysitting'.

I'm pretty certain that's what Piscean meant to write. :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Well actually the question was about the grammatical correctness of 'She has to not be babysitting.'

I does not seem at all nature to me neither. However because of my colleague's question I wanted to make sure if it could be grammatically correct or not.

Thank you.

It's a very unnatural sentence. However, people do use the to not be construction to emphasize a negative. I wouldn't recommend it for learners.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

'She has to not be babysitting.'
Could it suggest that she must not be babysitting, as 'She has to not be lazy' suggests 'She must not be lazy'?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

In that case, I'd say "She has to be not babysitting" if I couldn't make my meaning known otherwise - rather than 'She has to not be babysitting.' (It's still not common, and I wouldn't recommend it either.
You also need to make sure you are negating the right thing. Grammatically, Piscean is right. The negative of "She has to be babysitting" is "She doesn't have to be babysitting" ("It's not true that she has to be babysitting".)
But this is not the meaning of the other negation:"She has to be [not babysitting]" ("It has to be such that she is not babysitting".) It would be more natural to say, "She can't be babysitting". "It's impossible that she is babysitting."

You need to be careful with modal verbs when you negate them. Often just putting 'not' somewhere will give a grammatical negation, but it might not be what you mean.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Could it suggest that she must not be babysitting, as 'She has to not be lazy' suggests 'She must not be lazy'?
I would say yes (to your first clause). I believe that is what the intention of "She has not to be babysitting" is in the original post. But since it's not natural, It probably won't always be read that way.
I also agree with your second clause. To me, it suggests "She is not allowed to be lazy." That is how I'd correct "She has to not be lazy" or "She has to be not lazy."

Status
Not open for further replies.